Apple Strudel Pie(my version)
  Re: (...)
The traditional Apple Strudel Pie I read from NET was made from scratch(the pastry, I mean). This was made to mimick the ones we have in Singapore that is sold by a very famous Apple strudel pie bakery house.

This is a long winded post, recipe. Bear with me!

[Image: applestrudelpie2.jpg]

This is the filo pastry I used. You can use any brand you can find in your home country.
[Image: 3zwhtlne3h4w8g.jpg]

Ingredients for Custard Cream
2 tbsp instant Custard powder
300ml Thickened Cream
100ml full cream milk
4 tbsp fine sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract.

Method
1. Heat up cream and milk in a sauce pot.
2. Add sugar and vanilla extract to stir till melted.
3. Add custard powder, using a whisk to stir quickly till it appears creamy, sticky.
4. Turn off heat, remove and chill till ready to use.

[Image: cookedapples.jpg]

Ingredients for Apples
1 large Fuji Apple, cored, peeled, sliced
2 tbsp light brown sugar
pinch of cinnamon powder
1 tsp cornstarch

Method
1. In a sauce pot, add apples, sugar and cinnamon powder to cook over low heat.
2. When 'juice' starts to appear, add cornstarch to cook till it thickens.
3. Remove and cool before using.

Ingredients for Pastry
10 pcs of Filo Pastry
100g Butter(unsalted..**)
snow powder(for dusting)

Other tools
A pizza knife
Aluminium foil, bigger than the filo pastry

Method : See Pie Charts
1. Thaw the filo pastry overnight from the freezer. Leave it in the chiller/fridge section a day before.
2. Carefully remove the pastry from the box/packaging.
3. Cut a big pc of aluminium foil(bigger than the filo pastry) and put on the table.
4. Melt butter in pot or microwave till liquid.
5. Brush liquid butter generously on the filo pastry.
6. Pick up another piece and place on top and brush with butter.
7. Repeat till all the pastry is used up. The last or top layer should have butter too.
8. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 4 equal parts.
9. Carefully remove each strip/part and place on baking parchment paper for baking. I run out of baking paper, so I use alum foil.
10. Bake in preheated oven 180C for only 10 mins.

[Image: ASPiechart1.jpg]

11. Pick up one part of pastry and place on top of the foil sheet.
12. Spread a layer of cooled custard cream on top.
13. Put another pastry on top.
14. Add cooked apples and spread evenly..make sure it doesn't go to the edges of the pastry.
15. Put another layer of pastry on top.
16. Repeat with custard cream, and lastly the last piece of pastry
17. Dust snow powder on top.
18. Chill before serving.

[Image: ASPieChart2.jpg]

Very Important notes

Butter must be unsalted. If you use salted, your pastry will be extremely salty..!

Snow powder is not the same with Icing sugar.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Apple Strudel Pie(my version) by Gina_Choong (The traditional Appl...)
Gina, I thought you said you guys were eating light these days. Are you living vicariously through your posts...LOL?!?!? This sounds delightful and with fall coming and apples coming in fresh soon, this will be a wonderful treat!

Since I don't understand the custard powder OR the difference between thickened cream and cream milk, I'm assuming I can use my mother's old fashioned custard recipe for this part. I'm guessing the special part of this recipe is the pastry and layering technique?

One thing that does stump me is the difference between icing sugar and dusting sugar. I have guessed before that icing sugar was what we call powdered sugar. If so, what is dusting sugar? I use powdered sugar to make icing and to dust the top of certain desserts.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Apple Strudel Pie(my version) by Gourmet_Mom (Gina, I thought you ...)

I had to do this recipe for my students and some of the queries I get from my forum. Its also my mom's favorite. She has a sweet tooth.

Instant Custard powder is something we use here in Singapore alot. Basically, its a lazy way to make custard from fresh eggs. If you already have a good custard recipe, just use that. it works the same.

Thickened cream or double cream with full cream milk is just to make the custard lighter and less fuller in texture. In Singapore, there is a Japanese bakery chain here that makes the most yummy custard pies. I managed to mimick that by adding cream, milk to the custard and slightly whipped it.

In Singapore, snow powder is just icing sugar minus the cornstarch
Icing sugar is powdered sugar with cornstarch in it. Its often use for making sugarpaste(remember my wedding cake was made with sugar paste).

Snow powder won't melt or disappear when the surface is wet.
Icing sugar will melt instantly when exposed to air and if the surface is wet.

am I making sense?
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Apple Strudel Pie(my version) by Gina_Choong ([br]I had to do this...)
Yes...Thanks Gina! This makes perfect sense! I may not get to this until November...Coffee Cookies, Clafoutis, Fairy Cake...Yep, about November. But that's perfect. North Carolina Apples will be peaking out about then and perfect for our Thanksgiving Dinner!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Apple Strudel Pie(my version) by Gourmet_Mom (Yes...Thanks Gina! ...)
Daphne

when you have your Thanksgiving Dinner this year, smile and think of me.

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Apple Strudel Pie(my version) by Gina_Choong (Daphne[br][br]when y...)
You know I will!
Daphne