Planning a Party (I think)
  Re: (...)
Well, this Saturday is hubby's birthday AND his parents are coming back from their 3 week trip to Alaska. I thought it would be nice (tolerable) to have my husband's parents and his sisters (Anastasia and Drizella) and their kids over. All-in-all it would be 7 adults and 5 kids.

Now, if you haven't guessed by now, my inlaws are similar to Vicci's. I am usually 'The Invisible Woman' at gatherings. Over time I have learned that being invisible can be a good thing.

Before I extend the invitation to them, I want to have a menu that I feel comfortable with. I know for certain that I want to have Jean's potato salad recipe I think it's Two Mom's Potato Salad because I want to see how they like it. They have had the same potato salad at gatherings for years (I don't like it, neither does my hubby). I love Jean's and I wanted to bring it to the last gathering, but his mom had already spoken for that part of the meal.

I'd be happy to grill a couple of things as long as I don't have to grill all afternoon.

Any ideas for another salad perhaps? or something kinda fun to grill?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Planning a Party (I think) by luvnit (Well, this Saturday ...)
If you like blue cheese, Erin's Cobb Pasta Salad is awesome! And it's an easy make-ahead. Beyond that, you could pre-bake ribs and then throw those on with some corn just before guests arrive. (The corn is iffy with all the pasta and potato going on, but I thought I'd throw it in there anyway.) Then you'd only have to have a salad made.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Planning a Party (I think) by luvnit (Well, this Saturday ...)
How about Brats in Beer, Laura - they are so good and so easy for a crowd?

I catered them for a party a couple years ago and man, they were all gone in no time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beer Brats

25 Johnsonville Brats
6 C Samuel Adams Dark Beer
1/3 C Bavarian Mustard, or a Good German Mustard
1/4 C Ketchup
2 Med Onions

In a large deep heavy pot, stir together the beer, mustard, and ketchup.
Cut onion into thick slices and add to beer mixture.

Bring to a boil very slowly, reduce heat and simmer bratwursts, uncovered, turning occasionally for a couple of hours.
Remove the brats and grill for color before serving.
While brats grill, remove the onions from the beer mixture and add to the condiment plate.

Description:
"Made this for WIT's party at Don's house, 5/29/08"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---
Laura, after the simmering, you can remove the brats to a sheet pan, chill and keep for the next day to grill for color - they get a nice caramelization to them when they are grilled. ( I'm so glad you brought this up - brats can be bought at Farmers Markets....another recipe for the book )

A fun dessert when there are lots of kids (even grown up kids) is have tons of vanilla ice cream and all kinds of toppings, nuts, whip cream "cans" (yes!) and let everyone make their own sundaes. Have a big platter of Rice Krispies treats and kids of every age are happy.

Knockers up, you'll blow them away with whatever you choose to serve them!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by Gourmet_Mom (If you like blue che...)
You know, a Cobb Salad might be really nice. I have been meaning to make one for a while. Is Cobb the same as Nicoise? Or is it just similar presentation?

Gee, that does sound good. Do you have her recipe. Or should I wait for her to come along?

You know Jean I was thinking about some Brats too! You were reading my mind again. I will make those too. And some really great hot dogs from our meat market for the kids.

Okay, the Menu so far:

-Two Mom's Potato Salad
-Erin's Cobb Salad
-Brats in Beer
-Hot Dogs
-I think I will have a topping bar too: kraut, onions, relishes, mustards, etc.

This is going good. I think I will make a butterscotch Pie for dessert. Hubby's favorite Pie.

Maybe a tub full of different beers and sodas...

This is going well. I feel good about this.

Laura
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by luvnit (You know, a Cobb Sal...)
Erin's salad is a pasta salad. Here it is. We just LOVE it! But if you want a WOW salad, I've included the Brown Derby Salad I make, which I've been told is a classic Cobb Salad. It is super yummy and makes a very impressive presentation!

Pasta Cobb Salad

Recipe By :esgunn/Erin
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 1/2 cups garden style twirls - 12 oz
4 slices cooked bacon -- crumbled
2 cups cooked chicken breast halves -- cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes -- chopped
3/4 cup Italian salad dressing
3/4 cup frozen peas -- thawed
1/3 cup green onion -- sliced
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley -- chopped

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drian. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly and drain well.

In a large bowl, stir together the cooled pasta and remaining ingredients.

Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=36338&Searchpage=1&Main=32961&Words=marinara&topic=&Search=true#Post36338"

Brown Derby Salad and Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Salad:
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1/2 bunch watercress
1 small bunch curly endive
1/2 head romaine lettuce
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 medium tomatoes -- peeled, seeded and diced
1 chicken breast -- cooked, boned, skinned and diced
6 bacon strips -- cooked crisp and diced
1 avocado -- peeled and diced
3 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and diced
1/2 cup Roquefort cheese -- crumbled
Special French Dressing:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 clove garlic -- minced
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Chop lettuce, watercress, endive and romaine in very fine pieces. Mix together in a large, wide bowl. Arrange chives, tomatoes, chicken, bacon, avocado, eggs and cheese in rows over lettuce.

At the table, pour the Special French Dressing over salad. Toss and serve.

For Special French Dressing: Combine water, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic and oils. Chill. Shake well before using.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/eatingout/eating_b/brownder.htm"

NOTES : 8-24-08 A while back we were all checking out a copycat website (www.razzledazzle.com) and I had copied this, but not made it. Now a LOT of you may have made this before, I never had...especially the presentation. While it's really just a glorified chef salad, the REAL star is the dressing. Not what I expected...when I hear French dressing, I think red stuff...but it was VERY good. I have now permanently replaced bottled Italian dressing FOREVER!

It was so pretty, I had to take a picture. Now before you pooh the presentation thing, I will tell you, it was NOT that big a deal. And to impress guests...this would do it! PLUS there were NO pots and pans to clean! NOW, somebody tell me if I can post this recipe. It's the Brown Derby Salad from the aforementioned (sp?) website.

[Image: BrownDerbySalad-1.jpg]
Daphne
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by Gourmet_Mom (Erin's salad is a pa...)
Oh that's right, I made the Pasta Cobb salad last week and we both loved it - especially the "Bleu Cheese King" - he had two or three helpings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by Gourmet_Mom (Erin's salad is a pa...)
Oh Daphne! Love it! That is exactly what I am going to make. I even have the perfect platter for it. Yes, it will be a WOW thing for sure. Since I am going to have potato salad, this salad will be lighter. You are a doll!

You all are wonderful! This really helped a lot. I already spoke with my MIL and they are for sure coming. This will be a good 'Happy Birthday Hubby/Welcome Home from Your Trip' party. My hubby has been in sort of a crabby funk lately. He's been so busy at work and overloaded. I hope this will help cheer him up a bit.

We will let the children brine all day, play horseshoes and croquet in the backyard and have some wonderful food!
Laura
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by luvnit (Oh Daphne! Love it! ...)
You're very welcome! The vinaigrette that goes with this is very good. It's funny, when I picked this recipe out, I thought I was making a salad with the red kind of dressing. That's why I picked it...LOL! Boy was I surprised, but delightfully so. I think I'll use my leftover chicken for this for tomorrow night's dinner. I've got everything to make it. It's one of William's favorites.

But be sure to make Erin's Pasta version soon! It's GREAT!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by Gourmet_Mom (You're very welcome!...)
Sounds like a great menu... we'll expect photos!
  Re: Re: Planning a Party (I think) by Gourmet_Mom (You're very welcome!...)
Yes, I agree hers sounds wonderful too and I will try it soon. But with the buns and potato salad, that may be enough starch right there. I love this forum, it makes my life so much easier.

I will try to remember to take pictures of all of this too!
Laura