Hopefully this is the last one I'm asking you all to try and I know it won't suit everyone's tastes, but some it will, I think.

Mole sauce is a real pain in the a$$ to make, so I'm relying on an old La Victoria version for the mole sauce for my tacos and I'd really like to have some of you try it.

We're having them tonight and will post pictures tomorrow (to sway you, Theresa ) Gotta say, the mole sauce (cheap and dirty as it is, is very tasty!) (from B.B.&Corn book)

Tacos with Mole Sauce

Making mole sauce can be a complicated process, but give this version a try, it’s delicious.

Mole Sauce:
Years ago La Victoria made a powder mix for making mole sauce, but have since stopped manufacturing it. The company very generously gave out the recipe shortly after. For a fast alternative to finding a more authentic sauce at a Mexican grocer, you might try this in a pinch.

Mole sauce:
3 T. chili powder
2 T. ground bread crumbs, or ground corn tortilla
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cocoa
2 T. plus 1 tsp. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vegetable oil
-----
2 cups chicken broth (See Pantry)
3 cups (about 1 lb.) shredded, roasted pork, chicken or beef
15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
-----
12 8-inch corn tortillas
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey jack cheese
GARNISH:
chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, lime wedges, tomatoes, sliced olives, and lettuce

For the mole mix:
mix the chili powder, bread crumbs, sugar, salt, cinnamon and cocoa together.
Blend peanut butter and vegetable oil into the dry mixture. This mixture may be refrigerated and stored in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1/3 cup.

In a medium saucepan, whisk the mole into the broth and bring to a boil. Add meat of your choice and black beans, and simmer over moderately low heat for 15 minutes. Keep warm.

Wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel. Warm them in a microwave at high power for 2 minutes, or until hot and pliable. Or, heat the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet (cast iron works best) over medium-low heat until they are soft and keep them warm, wrapped in aluminum foil or a clean towel.

For the tacos:
Lay 4 tortillas on a work surface; keep the rest covered with the towel. Fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of the meat and bean mixture. Roll up the tortillas into tight cylinders and transfer to a platter.

Repeat with the remaining tortillas and meat. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the mole sauce on top. Garnish with the cheese, cilantro, scallions, lime wedges, tomatoes, sliced olives and lettuce. Serve with the remaining mole sauce.

CJ’s tip: To complete the dinner serve the tacos with hot rice.

-----

thanks all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

One More Recipe to Try - (I think) cjs Hopefully this is th...
Jean that sounds great. I love making Mole (almost as much as eating it). There's something kinda zen about the process of making Mole from the ground up - but it is time consuming. I'll try this very soon. I'm printing it and putting it on the short list. Yum!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  One More Recipe to Try - (I think) cjs Hopefully this is th...
I'll definitely try this, Jean. It's funny but La Victoria is the one brand of sauces etc. I'll buy. Love their green enchilada sauce.
Shannon

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) Dismc I'll definitely try ...
Okay, this one is a stretch....but I'm on my own tomorrow night......we'll see. It sounds interesting, but since I've never had the real thing, I don't know that I would know how to judge.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) Gourmet_Mom Okay, this one is a ...
I've never had mole either, but I have all the ingredients, including the shredded pork. It sure sounds right up our alley.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) Lorraine I've never had mole ...
As Jean said, that may not be the most authentic recipe (the ingredient list for traditional Mexican mole is about a mile long), but I bet it's good. If you happen to have any Mexican chocolate, try that in place of the cocoa.

For a REALLY simple, on-the-fly mole at home, I used to use one ounce of Mexican chocolate, two heaping tablespoons of peanut butter, and at least a tablespoon of Quest-for-Fire hot sauce. It wasn't the same as some other moles I had had, but it was VERY good.

Then again, in Mexico, different villages have different mole recipes with a very wide range of ingredients, but with the general concept remaining as dark, Mexican chocolate plus some kind of ground-up nuts (not always peanuts) plus some kind of chile pepper (often poblano, but sometimes hotter) plus a whole bunch of other ground-up spices, and it would usually be used for turkey.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) labradors As Jean said, that m...
This sounds good. I'll have to try it, but I don't know if I'll get to it for a bit.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) Vanquisher This sounds good. I...
Well, I liked this one very, very much. The mole sauce had great flavor. Roy gave dinner a 9 1/2 and with the Cilantro Rice a 10 1/2!! The rice went super with it. (just added about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro as the rice was resting.

I think this one may be the best of the book...
[Image: Tacowmolesauceapr15.jpg]

Sharon, I thought of you and Bob as soon as I had made this verson of mole.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) cjs Well, I liked this o...
Geez, that looks to die for. I'm such a sucker for Mexican food. What's inside the tortillas or are they just warmed and rolled up?
Shannon

Re: One More Recipe to Try - (I think) Dismc Geez, that looks to ...
"Fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of the meat and bean mixture." this
www.achefsjourney.com
One More Recipe to Try - (I think)