Why, oh why, didn't we do this years ago????? Ain't hindsight great?

[Image: GardenGoodies.jpg]

I'm going to have to get my kids up here more often with the amount of pickles I'm putting up - the plants are just going crazy!!

I do have one concern tho, this year I have had 2 jars break in the water bath (kerr and/or ball) - I've never had one break before in all the years I've been canning. Are they not making them as strong, maybe???? What a crappy mess!

But, the garden is so much fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) cjs Why, oh why, didn't ...
WHAT A HAUL! Ain't it fun?!?!? Those heirloom tomatoes are gorgeous! We've not had much luck with heirloom plants, so I think I'm going to order seeds next spring and do it myself.

The only thing we have left is peanuts. Time to plant some fall stuff!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) Gourmet_Mom WHAT A HAUL! Ain't ...
AND MAKE THAT THREE!!! JARS THAT HAVE BROKEN! Just now when I removed the jars from the bath, two not one had broken, I am so mad. I'm going to call the Kerr hot line and scream at them for a while!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) cjs AND MAKE THAT THREE!...
That's really odd! All my jars are old, so I haven't had that problem before. I bet it's because they're making them "cheaper" than before. What a bummer! Were you able to salvage the pickles?
Daphne
  Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) cjs AND MAKE THAT THREE!...
Jean, the only jars I have had break, are really really old jars. BUT, I don't use the water bath for very much. I'd be really ticked off. Especially when you get to doing your peaches.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) esgunn Jean, the only jars...
Just a thought - do you have something in the bottom of your pan to keep the jars from sitting directly on the pan? I always use that metal rack thingy for canning in a water bath.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) esgunn Just a thought - do ...
Wow now that's some serious pickings! Next year I'm going my garden different and utilize the square foot gardening techniques.

I'm waiting to get some small established plants for the winter veggies and see how those go

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) DFen911 Wow now that's some ...
yeah, Erin, I do have and use the rack. The two that broke were pints of pluots - which really ticked me off!! No way to salvage, the fruit an broken glass just floated around merrily for 20 minutes....
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) cjs yeah, Erin, I do hav...
Bummer! I was hoping they just cracked!
Daphne

Re: Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time) Gourmet_Mom Bummer! I was hopin...
Wow, I love the Pacific NW--even the greenhouses work magic.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Love the Greenhouse (for the gazillionth time)