I'm looking for a recipe for the batter dipped Fried Chicken that Gordonsville is known for. Gordonsville is known as the Fried Chicken Capital of the World. Anyone know of a recipe??? Thanks for your help!!!

Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA??? Barbarainnc I'm looking for a re...
I'm going to western VA next week. Just looked on a map and it's not even close to Gordonsville. Sorry, thought I could help.
  Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA??? Barbarainnc I'm looking for a re...
Here's the recipe I found for Gordonsville Fried Chicken. Hope it helps:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gordonsville Fried Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds chicken...8-10 pieces
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper..or to taste
1 tablespoon paprika..sweet (or hot)
2 tablespoons ground sage
2 cups 2% milk
1 large egg beaten
peanut oil and 3tbls bacon fat to fry in

Combine salt, 1 cup of flour, paprika, pepper, and 1 Tbsp of sage in bowl, stir in the milk and beaten egg to make a thin batter.

In the remaining 1 cup of flour roll the chicken..and then dip the chicken pieces in the batter allowing excess to run off. Place chicken on a wire rack in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to set.

Heat 3 inches of oil to a temp. of 350 degrees.

Put in skinside down chicken cook without cover at 325 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes per side or internal temp. is 170ish for dark meat, and 160ish for white.

Drain on wire rack and sprinkle with the remaining 1tbls of sage...

S(Internet Address):
"http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/283027"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA??? bjcotton Here's the recipe I ...
Well, heck, Gordonsville is really close to us, we go through it to get to one of the B&B's we have done work at. Who knew it was famous for it's fried chicken??? We'll have to check it out! OT I'd love to spend an afternoon in Gordonsville, they seem to have great shops and a few really nice restaurants.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA??? Lorraine Well, heck, Gordonsv...
I thought the story was very interesting. And mildly intrigued especially since Lorraine wasn't aware she was in the presence of 'Chicken Royalty'. I found this interesting story on the www.

Quote:

Gordonsville's Legendary Chicken Vendors
African-American Memorial Site
Early trains had no dining cars and passengers had to eat at trackside establishments. The African-American women of Gordonsville would become Orange County's first female entrepreneurs. The "Chicken Vendors" greeted the waiting railroad cars with trays of fried chicken expertly balanced on their heads and baskets of rolls hanging from their arms, selling fried chicken to passengers through the open windows. No one knows the exact date the custom began--perhaps with that first train.

Trains carrying soldiers during the Civil War were greeted at the depot by thongs of chicken vendors. Chicken legs and breast cost fifteen cents; backs and wings, five and ten cents. By 1879, the Gordonsville Town Council required a "snack vendor's" license and payment of a license tax by these thriving entrepreneurs!

In1869, newsman George W. Bagby called Gordonsville “the chicken center of the universe”. In 1871, the C&O Railroad provided northern newspaper editors the opportunity to visit the south. In the book detailing this journey entitled “The Pine and the Palm Greeting; or The Trip of the Northern Editors to the South in1871”, published in Baltimore in 1873, the chicken vendors were described in detail.

The “Chicken Vendors” came to characterize Gordonsville in the minds of travelers for decades. Gordonsville Fried Chicken and the story of the ‘chicken vendors’, has been featured on restaurant menus as far away as California. The practice continued until the mid-1900s when regulations finally forced them to close down.

On June 15, 2002, a plaque honoring Gordonsville’s Legendary Chicken Vendors “Fried Chicken Capital of the World’ was dedicated and recognized as an African American Memorial Site at the Civil War Museum at the Exchange Hotel.

"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)

Re: Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA??? iCook I thought the story ...
Thanks for the info, Karen. The book sounds really interesting. I found it online, and ordered it. Since he's a history buff (especially local stuff), I think it will make a great Christmas gift.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Anyone live in or near Gordonsville, VA???