As I posted before somewhere, I had a terrible head cold this past week. And when that happens, I'm not up to drinking coffee and just want some green tea, which is what I ended up drinking all week.

Tuesday morning I had a terrible sore throat as well and was going to add some honey to the tea to help soothe the raspies. But when I took my litle honey bear out of the cabinet, I noticed that it had crystallized in the container. So I soaked it in hot water for an hour and was able to get some of it moving.

Question is, what's the best container to buy honey in? Glass or plastic? Or does it even really matter?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Hi Honey!!! BarbaraS As I posted before s...
good question - and it also comes in metal containers. Because of the squeeze factor, I'd guess it's plastic.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Hi Honey!!! cjs good question - and ...
I like to buy mine in glass so that when it gets near the end, I can microwave it.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Hi Honey!!! chef_Tab I like to buy mine i...
I usually purchase a large 16 oz., heavy plastic bottle from Sam's club. When crystals form, I place it on the top rack of my dishwasher (make sure the lid is on tight). Then I run a cycle. Yes, I do it with dishes in there too. No harm.

Tah-dah! My honey is decrystalized and ready to go!

P.S. I don't think I would try it with the 'squeezable-bear' honey. I think that container may warp. But I would try it with glass.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Hi Honey!!! luvnit I usually purchase a...
I buy the honey from the street vendors, here. It comes in used rum bottles, so that would be glass (and also means that I buy honey by the fifth). I don't usually have it around long enough for crystals to form.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Hi Honey!!! labradors I buy the honey from...
I am with Rob, I use mine quickly enough that I don't get crystals. It did occur to me though, that my MIL stores hers in a bowl of water. I thought it odd, but maybe it prevents crystals? She keeps it next to the kitchen sink.
Theresa

Re: Hi Honey!!! chef_Tab I am with Rob, I use...
Quote:

... my MIL stores hers in a bowl of water. I thought it odd, but maybe it prevents crystals?

Also makes it difficult for ants to get at it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Hi Honey!!! labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'm guessing the reason why my honey crystallized is because where that cabinet is located in the kitchen is over the crawl space and it's kind of chilly in that part of the kitchen.

I'll buy it in a glass jar next time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Hi Honey!!! BarbaraS Thanks for all the s...
Rob, I think you hit the nail on the head, they live on a farm and have a big problem with ants in the summer.
Theresa

Re: Hi Honey!!! luvnit I usually purchase a...
Quote:

I usually purchase a large 16 oz., heavy plastic bottle from Sam's club. When crystals form, I place it on the top rack of my dishwasher (make sure the lid is on tight). Then I run a cycle. Yes, I do it with dishes in there too. No harm.

That's funny. At work, when we're opening a new #10 can of hot fudge, we run it through the commercial dishwasher a few times to soften it up

PJ
PJ
Hi Honey!!!