Just received a call from my BIL, he's on his way back from California. He called to tell me he'd be back about 8:00 PM tonight and has 55 lbs of Navel oranges and 20 lbs of Sweet grapefruit. Whenever he's in Calif. and sees one of the people that sell citrus along side the road he stops and buys a bunch of it. Likes this one particular vendor. He calls all the brothers and sisters and tells them he's got fruit and they converge like hogs at a slop trough.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Good Lord! bjcotton Just received a call...
Oh my! Get the juicer and cube trays ready! Sure is a shame you can't slice and freeze.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Good Lord! bjcotton Just received a call...
Geeze! That's almost as many oranges as you took home??
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Good Lord! Harborwitch Geeze! That's almos...
*sigh*
Wish I had a brother like that...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Good Lord! foodfiend *sigh*[br]Wish I had...
We had to throw some of the last bunch away there were so many...I don't think you're supposed to eat them when they turn green a second time
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Good Lord! bjcotton We had to throw some...
Just green or green & furry?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Good Lord! bjcotton We had to throw some...
You can juice the ruby grapefruit and freeze in plastic. Breakfast juice or better, salty dogs for weeks!! I've done it--Jane's kids (and me) love salty dogs!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Good Lord! Old Bay You can juice the ru...
Fresh fruit is wonderful. I trade meyer lemons from my tree for grapefruit from my golf buddy's. Today he gave me a bag full and it made about four quarts of juice. There are many orange trees on my golf course and I always collect a half dozen or so to bring home. They look terrible with a blackish skin so they could never be sold in a store. They are sooooo good. Last night I made a version of lemon chicken with orange juice and garlic slices. Yummy.

Buzz

Re: Good Lord! buzzard767 Fresh fruit is wonde...
Hope you grab some when he comes thru! Love grapefruit - hey Billy, make some of this and we'll stop by on our way thru. (got this a long time ago from C2C, but can't rememeber who)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grapefruit Liqueur

6 medium or large red or yellow grapefruit
3 cup -- 80 proof vodka
1 cup water
2 tbsp whole corriander seed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cup white sugar

Preparation:

Cut or scrape off zest, yellow part of rind. Then peel grapefruit and discard pith or white part. Separate grapefruit sections and cut each section into several pieces. Combine the rest of the ingredients. Cover.

Leave to infuse for several weeks. Strain and let the liqueur

clear for a week to 10 days. Carefully pour off the clear liqueur. If desired, a small amount of yellow or red food dye may be added for a stronger color.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Good Lord! cjs Hope you grab some w...
OOOooooo, Jean that's very tempting right there. Hope I can find some reasonably priced grapefruits somewhere
Cis
Empress for Life
Good Lord!