Visited a fish market in Morro Bay yesterday and picked up some goodies - halibut cheeks, sand dabs and fresh oysters. Had grilled oysters last night. Found this halibut recipe in the archives, that sounds good to alter to fit the 'cheeks'

Halibut in Spanish Garlic-Shrimp Sauce
(Cuisine at home, February 2006, Issue 55, p. 12-13)

For the Greens—
Saute; Add:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, minced
1/4 cup onions, minced
2 T. roasted red pepper or pimiento, minced
1 t. garlic, minced
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. dried oregano

Stir in and Cook; Season with:
2 cups collard greens, stemmed, sliced into 1/4"-thick ribbons
1/4 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Halibut—
Sear in 1 T. Olive Oil; Remove:
2 halibut fillets, seasoned with salt and pepper (6 oz. each)

Add and Saute:
3 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf

Stir in and Cook:
10 medium shrimp, peeled, halved lengthwise, and deveined

Deglaze with:
2 T. dry sherry
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T. chopped fresh parsley

Serve with:
Sofrito Collard Greens
Lemon wedges for finishing

Saute bacon for the greens in a nonstick skillet until crisp. Add onions, red pepper, garlic, and seasonings; cook until soft, 5 minutes.

Stir in greens and water, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated and greens have wilted slightly, 3–4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; cover and keep warm while you prepare the fish.

Sear seasoned halibut on both sides in 1 T. oil in a second nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook just until done, about 10 minutes total. Remove from the pan and place each fillet on a serving plate; tent with foil to keep warm.

Add 3 T. oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and bay leaf to the skillet; saute just until garlic begins to turn golden and fragrant, 1–2 minutes.

Stir in shrimp and cook until firm and pink, about 3 minutes.

Deglaze with sherry and lemon juice, simmer briefly to reduce a bit, then finish with parsley. Divide shrimp and sauce between fish.

Serve with greens and lemons.

------

The sand dabs I'm going to flour/buttermilk/cornmeal coat this morning and have with fried potatoes - (wish he'd hurry and get up!!!)

Found an interesting idea for some of the load of serranos he insisted on buying at the farmer's market - it was on epicurious.

Fried Serrano Chili Salsa

1/2 cup olive oil
6 serranos
1 3/4" thick slice from a white onion
1 garlic clove, peeled
salt

Heat oil; fry chilies until blistered, about 3 min. Cool completely.
Line a large skillet w/foil; heat over med. heat. Add onion and cook til softened and blackened in spots; about 5 min. per side. Cool.

Cut stems off chiles, combine with onion, garlic, salt and 2 T. of the chili oil in blender; chop finely.

With blender running, add slowly the rest of the oil and blend till thick. (can be made a day ahead)

Reviewer notes:
1. add lime juice to tame the heat.
2. try adding tomatoes or tomatillas - or both
3. try a few canned tomatoes.

----

No printer in the trailer, so I'm scribbling as I find ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

New Dishes to Try cjs Visited a fish marke...
Quote:

Found an interesting idea for some of the load of serranos he insisted on buying at the farmer's market ...

Shall definitely try this. Probably within the week.

My favourite salsa is a variation of the following:
Quote:

Salsa de Molcajete

Some homemade salsa recipes can be made in a blender or food processor, but the texture of this salsa recipe is much better when made in the traditional Mexican mortar and pestle.

5 Serrano Chiles
2 ripe tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Directions for Salsa de Molcajete.
On a comal or iron skillet, roast the chiles and tomatoes for 7-8 minutes or until they are soft.
Peel off and discard the burned skin from the tomatoes.
In a mortar, grind the chiles and garlic.
When They are roughly chipped, and the tomatoes and continue grinding leaving a chunky texture.
Add the salt.
Serve in the molcajete or a small bowl.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

The variation is that I also add a bunch of chopped onion and cilantro to taste, making it the same as the Salsa Casera that the Herdez brand sells in cans or jars. This stuff is so good, I could just eat it with a spoon, without any need for nachos or tortilla chips!

Also, don't forget the Serrano Pesto!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: New Dishes to Try labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Oh gosh - I absolutely love sand dabs. Always have. A restaurant here in town makes them parmesan crusted. Yum!

Re: New Dishes to Try Trixxee Oh gosh - I absolute...
Oh Trixxee, you dog!! I do have two more in the freezer....

here's our breakfast
[Image: sanddabs.jpg]

man, it was so good - one of the best fried potatoes I've done, everything was crusty and creamy and so garlicky and oniony.... (yes, that's a paper plate...the dish dog wanted easy)

Labs, gonna have to try yours also - he bought a lot!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: New Dishes to Try cjs Oh Trixxee, you dog!...
Quote:

Labs, gonna have to try yours also - he bought a lot!

Send 'em here! To date, I have only seen them in the local stores ONCE, and I am still being sparing in my use of the ones that I bought and froze when they were available. I'm hoping I'll be able to grow some from their seeds, and that the freezing hasn't made that impossible.

Want me to dry the seeds from one of these and send it to you? Be glad to.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: New Dishes to Try cjs Want me to dry the s...
Quote:

Want me to dry the seeds from one of these and send it to you? Be glad to.

Thanks! Let me check, first, to see if there are any restrictions about bringing seeds into the country. Then again, if the ones I have work, you won't need to go through the trouble.

Jean, you will love that halibut dish...I made it AGAIN last week---and it is always a winner.

I don't have collard greens here so subbed spinach...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: New Dishes to Try Roxanne 21 Jean, you will love ...
spinach, that's what I was thinking of adding. Thanks Rox.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: New Dishes to Try cjs spinach, that's what...
Aw, that Halibut dish is the one we had for a review dinner...the Spanish sauce is ringing a bell...I had bad shrimp....EWWWWW! It's still too fresh.

BTW, what are sand dabs....never mind...I looked it up and it looks JUST like our flounder...eyes and all. It is a very mild tasting fish...one I love. Since you like catfish, I'm guessing this fish is just like our flounder, Jean! YUM!

Speaking of cheeks...grouper cheeks are AWESOME! Unfortunately, unless you clean your own, you won't get them....the person cleaning the fish will snag them for himself.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
New Dishes to Try