I have misplaced a chicken pot pie recipe (with parsnips) from Cuisine at Home magazine........I believe it was in either Aug or Sept...........does anyone have that?? Thank you.

chicken pot pie recipe pmatson I have misplaced a c...
OK...I know I saw this recipe posted for you. I ain't that far gone. Am I?

WHEW! Your recipe is in the thread about the new book where you asked the same question.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: chicken pot pie recipe Gourmet_Mom OK...I know I saw th...
Well, heck...why not. This way the recipe will be with the thread. Thank Jeanette (HomeCulinarian) for posting this for you, though.

Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Makes one 2-qt pot pie
Total time: 3.5 hours

For the crust -
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t table salt
3/4 - 1 cup ice water

Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until brown flecks appear, about 15 minutes, then transfer to a shallow dish and freeze until firm, 20-30 minutes.

Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut in chilled brown butter until pea-sized using a pastry blender. Stir in 3/4 cup ice water, then test by pinching dough between your fingers. If it seems dry, add remaining water 1 T at a time until dough is no longer crumbly. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

For the filling -
2 cups carrot, sliced 1/4" thick
2 cups parsnip, diced
2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
1 cup frozen pearl onions
1 t minced fresh thyme
1 t minced fresh sage
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 T fresh lemon juice
3 cups Enriched Chicken Broth (another recipe)
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups red potatoes, cubed
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
egg wash - 1 egg beaten with 1 T milk

Preheat oven to 425; line a baking sheet with foil.
Sweat carrot, parsnip, mushrooms, onions, and herbs in butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir flour into vegetables to coat; cook 1 minute. Deglaze with the wine and lemon juice, scraping bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add broth, stirring until mixture is smooth, then stir in chicken and potatoes. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, 10-15 minutes. Off heat, stir in peas, salt and pepper; transfer filling to a baking dish.
Roll out prepared dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thick, then cut to fit the baking dish. Arrange dough on filling, trim and crimp edges. Transfer pot pie to prepared baking sheet.
Brush dough with egg wash and bake pie until crust is golden, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to set up.

Enriched Chicken Broth
Makes 3 1/2 cups; total time 1 1/4 hours

1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb bone-in chicken breasts or thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth

Saute vegetables in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until onion and carrot begin to brown, 10 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside. Add the chicken and brown on both sides, 8 minutes, then stir in broth and reserved vegetables. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until chicken is cooked through 35-45 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside; strain and reserve broth, discarding the vegetables. Use the chicken to make the pot pie.

Edited by HomeCulinarian (Thu Jan 01 2009 05:43 PM)

You may want to check out PJ's comments about the recipe, though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
chicken pot pie recipe