A new member, I hope I have your "name" right, cncw requested this recipe.

Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas with Hazelnut Romesco Sauce

Makes about 30 empanadas, 1 1/2 cups sauce; Total time: 1 hour

For the Empanadas-
1 1/4 cups chopped button mushrooms
1/3 cup minced onion
1/4 cup bulk Italian sausage, optional (2 oz)
1 T olive oil
1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1 T chopped fresh thyme
1/2 t lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup feta with herbs, crumbled
1 pkg. pie dough, purchased (15 oz)
1 egg yolk
1 T water

For the Romesco Sauce-
1/3 cup whole hazelnuts or almonds, toasted
1 T sugar
1 clove garlic
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained (12 oz)
2 T fresh parsley leaves
1 T red wine vinegar
salt and red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Saute mushrooms, onion, and sausage in oil in a large nonstick skillet ovr medium-high heat. Cook until onion is soft and mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes, breaking up sausage into small pieces with a spoon.

Deglaze with sherry, simmer until nearly evaporated, thin stir in spinach, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook just until spinach wilts, transfer to a bowl, and cool to room temperature; stir in feta.

Unroll 1 sheet of pie dough onto work surface, and cut out circles using a 3-inch round cutter. Place 1 tsp. filling on each round, fold in half, and pinch to seal. Arrange on prepared baking sheet, then crimp sealed edge with a fork; repeat with remaining dough and filling, rerolling scraps once.

Blend egg yolk with water and brush on empanadas. Bake until crust is golden, 15-18 minutes.

Pulse hazelnuts, sugar, and garlic in a food processor until nuts are fine but not oily. Add remaining ingredients; process until pureed.

"The empanadas can be made a day in advance-or frozen for up to 1 week! Thaw them for 15 miutes, then brush with egg wash just before they go into the oven. The romesco sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead."

Source Cuisine at Home, December 2008, page 50

I don't know how I messed this one. It's going on the To Try very soon list! Thanks for bringing this to my attention cncw! I hope you'll join us often.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas Gourmet_Mom A new member, I hope...
MMMmm, this looks very up our alley. Thanks for posting Daph.
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas farnfam MMMmm, this looks ve...
Like I said Cis, I TOTALLY missed this in the latest issue. I'm going to make sure to look CLOSELY at the last page from now on. It is no longer a cocktail or fancy dessert. This is so doable in the VERY near future! It was a pleasure to type it up. Again, thanks newbie! I would have TOTALLY missed this one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas Gourmet_Mom Like I said Cis, I T...
I missed it too - get some mushrooms and I'm good to go with it too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas cjs I missed it too - ge...
This really does sound good. Another thing I've haven't attempted in all my years of cooking - any kind of empanadas.
Mushroom-Spinach Empanadas