Here's something I've been wanting to try for a long time: the Mushroom and Cheese Strudel recipe from that Australian mushroom website I love so much. I finally got some fresh mushrooms, so I just had to make this, and I'm glad I did: it was DELICIOUS! Since I used a substitution for the puff pastry (see notes), mine didn't turn out quite as puffy and pretty as the picture that was with the recipe, itself, so I am posting THAT picture, instead:

[Image: strudeluk4.jpg]

Mushroom and Cheese Strudel
Preparation: 30 minutes (+ 20 minutes cooling time); Cooking: 45 minutes; Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 2 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1.1 Lb (500g) button mushrooms, sliced
  • 5.25 Oz (150g) brie cheese, chopped
  • 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • salt & ground black pepper
  • 2 sheets frozen ready rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven 400F (200C).
  2. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often for 10 minutes or until soft and light golden.
  3. Stir in the honey, cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Add mushrooms, increase heat to high and cook for 8 minutes or until all the liquid evaporates.
  5. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  6. Stir the cheese, parsley and salt and pepper into the mushroom mixture.
  7. Cut 1 sheet of pastry in half, place onto a greased baking tray, allow room for spreading.
  8. Spoon the mushroom mixture evenly over the two pastry halves, leaving a 1cm border around the edges.
  9. Cut the second pastry sheet in half and place on top, pressing the edges together.
  10. Cut a cross in the centre, brush with egg and season with salt and pepper.
  11. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
NOTES:
  1. The measurements have been converted from metric, but I left the original, metric amounts there, as well.
  2. Have never heard of brown onions, and they sometimes use different terminology in these Australian recipes, so I presumed yellow onions.
  3. I like the inner part of Brie, but not so much the outer part, so I used Camembert, instead, for which the outer part isn't as thick. The store was out of Brie, anyway.
  4. The pre-made, frozen puff pastry is not available here, so I used the Ten-Minute Puff Pastry recipe that Linda posted a while back. Of course, it didn't puff up as much as the other would have, but that was expected with this quick version.
  5. Since the Ten-Minute Puff Pastry recipe yields 24 Oz, and the box of two sheets of pre-made puff pastry is only 17.3 Oz, I cut off a little less than a third of the dough to save for other uses. Then, I cut the remaining dough in half to use for rolling out into two sheets, which I then cut in half to follow the strudel recipe's directions.

YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review labradors Here's something I'v...
Oh, that looks so tasty - will have to try that later in the week -thanks for the recipe - ~~
  Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review labradors Here's something I'v...
wow, that does look good. I am getting so many great ideas on this forum, there aren't enough days to make it all! I love it. Much better problem than the "I dont know what to make tonight" one. Do you think the brown onions might be shallots?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review chef_Tab wow, that does look ...
That really does sound good Labs! I love mushrooms, but will have to wait until I know YS won't be home. How did I raise a kid that doesn't like chocolate unless it's with peanut butter and hates mushrooms?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Love the idea of adding brie and honey, this sounds like a good one! Thanks for posting, Labs.

PJ
PJ

Re: Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review pjcooks Love the idea of add...
wow, that does sound tasty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Do you think the brown onions might be shallots?

Pretty sure they mean yellow onions. A Google image search for "brown onions" yields pictures of what I would call "yellow onions." Yellow onions are quite brown/tan, anyway, so I'm sure it's just another of the Aussie's regionalisms, just as when one of their recipes will say "tasty cheese" to mean "sharp cheddar."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
That does sound good! I did a wild mushroom strudel awhile back. Time to start thinking of fall recipes.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review Lorraine That does sound good...
bite your tongue, Lorraine!! I'm not ready to even think of letting summer go!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review cjs bite your tongue, Lo...
Quote:

bite your tongue, Lorraine!! I'm not ready to even think of letting summer go!!!

We haven't had summer yet Oh yes, we did have a few days of sun and heat back in May. Week after week of hot and humid and rain, everyday, severe thunderstorms hit us in the afternoon. (My neighbor's house got struck by lightening, that's scary.)

We're going to see Crosby, Stills and Nash tonight, after a boat ride on on the lake, and dinner someplace good in the Lakes region. We're in the Pavillion so rain won't be an issue, boomers will be, however.

I just checked the forecast and nothing is going to change for the next week or more. I guess this is our summer. I hope it clears long enough for the outdoor ceremony on the 9th, after that, my wine glass and I won't care!

PJ
PJ
Mushroom and Cheese Strudel review