I have 3 pheasants in my freezer. How do you cook these things? Are they good?

My mother in law said to cook them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup until the meat falls off the bone. <<<<whisper>>>> {I think she says that about everything she doesn't know how to cook}

Does anyone make these and have a really good recipe?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Pheasant luvnit I have 3 pheasants i...
I wish I did know how to cook them Laura. They sound so exotic One thing I do know tho' is they dry out easy. We had some BBQ'd in a tasty sauce in Mexico one time, and tho the sauce was good the meat was so dried out you couldn't enjoy it.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Pheasant farnfam I wish I did know ho...
They are fabulous!!!! I won two at an auction last year, so we had them for Christmas dinner. And Christmas day. Then we made dumplings with some of the meat and soup from the stock. Then he made sausages with some of the meat. Can you tell we love it??? Just heading out the door, but will come back and describe how we did it. I think I have pictures somewhere.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Pheasant Lorraine They are fabulous!!!...
Sorry, Laura, haven't done this one but it is a supposed delicacy in some circles Isn't there something called pheasant under glass---or something like that!!

Anxiously awaiting Lorraine's descriptions
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Pheasant Lorraine They are fabulous!!!...
Oh my! All that from two pheasants?! Wow!

Maybe mine are a little smaller than yours. They look to be about the sice of cornish hens. But I do have 3 of them.

I can't wait to see what you have to say!
Laura
  Pheasant luvnit I have 3 pheasants i...
Made it once a long while ago. I think the recipe I made was in some kind of cream sauce, but I never had an urge to make it again. Oh, be careful not to break any teeth - there is often shot in the breast meat.

Re: Pheasant HomeCulinarian Made it once a long ...
Oh my, my mother used to make the best fried pheasant!!! She used her cast iron dutch oven. Dip pheasant pieces in buttermilk (you can even marinate them a little while) then flour - brown them beautifully in lard (I guess you could use veggie oil ). Cover and put in a 350 - 375 F. oven and roast until juices run clear - I'd say give it 20-25 minutes.

Then make the best gravy in the world!!

oh, and serve with huge helping of mashed potatoes!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Pheasant cjs Oh my, my mother use...
Interesting Jean, I saw pheasant cooked on a very popular Austalian cooking show last night. She did just that, cooked it in oil, but upside down in the oven, Carved it when it was cold, and returned it to the pan from which most of the oil had been drained. She made a jus from the pan scrappings and a little of the oil and returned the pheasant and jus to the oven briefly. She served it with baked parsnips. I have never cooked it myself.

Re: Pheasant vannin Interesting Jean, I ...
Dales husband, Shane, told me how to cook a (spelling) Pukekoi bird...it is a beautiful iridescent blue, and I would imagine you cook the pheasant the same way...put some clean stones in the bottom of a stockpot and fill it about 3/4 full with water. Bring it to a high simmer and simmer it for an hour or two...take the bird out of the water, throw it away and eat the rocks
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Pheasant bjcotton Dales husband, Shane...
Quote:

...put some clean stones in the bottom of a stockpot and fill it about 3/4 full with water. Bring it to a high simmer and simmer it for an hour or two...take the bird out of the water, throw it away and eat the rocks

You had me hook, line and sinker! I bought the whole story. I have heard from others and you may be right. I have heard it's dry and their bones are tiny like needles. We'll see. If I can get a decent recipe anywhere it woudl be from here!
Laura
Pheasant