On a recent show of Paul Dean she had these amazing shrimp mashed potatoes and Fool Proof Standing Rib Roast. I wanted to share these recipes with you. The holidays are coming up and I am thinking of what to make for a crowd. For this rib roast recipe DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MEAT THERMOMETER, it will be wrong. Just go by the recipe. On the show they said that this recipe works for a 5-15 lb. roast with NO TIME adjustments. They said it always comes out perfect. Well it did. I had a 7 lb roast and it was absolutely wonderful.
[Image: ip0102_rib_roast1_e.jpg]
Foolproof Standing Rib Roast
This Rib roast recipe
1 (5-pound) standing beef rib roast
1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Rub roast all over with the House Seasoning. Place roast on a rack in a pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in the oven but do not open oven door for another 3 hours. About 1 hour before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F to reheat the roast.

Cook's Note: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from the time roast is put in until ready to serve.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup ground black pepper
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Shrimp Mashed Potatoes
8 to 10 medium red new potatoes, skin on, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1/2 cup hot milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper
1 cup cooked and chopped shrimp
1 teaspoon paprika

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes or until fork-tender in a medium pot. Mash potatoes in a mixing bowl. Add hot milk, butter, sour cream, and salt and pepper, to taste. With electric mixer, beat until moderately smooth. Don't over beat them, a few lumps are nice. Add shrimp. Whip until mixed. Adjust thickness by adding more milk if desired. Stir in paprika for flavor and color. Reheat in oven, if needed.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

REVIEW:Shrimp Mashed Potatoes - Standing Rib Roast luvnit On a recent show of ...
Thanks, Laura, I'm always looking for a new way to make a perfect rib roast, obviously, I haven't found it yet! I'm glad you had success with this, I think I'll try it out next time I find it on manager's special.

PJ
PJ

Re: REVIEW:Shrimp Mashed Potatoes - Standing Rib Roast pjcooks Thanks, Laura, I'm a...
And if you like shrimp the Shrimp Mashed Potatoes are out of this world, to die for, impressive! And a wonderful accompaniment.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: REVIEW:Shrimp Mashed Potatoes - Standing Rib Roast luvnit And if you like shri...
Never thought of putting the two together but now that I have your recommendation, I'll have to try it. Sounds like a good Christmas dinner to me!

PJ
PJ

Re: REVIEW:Shrimp Mashed Potatoes - Standing Rib Roast pjcooks Never thought of put...
hmmmm, interesting concept.

Have not done mashed with shrimp, but I have added shrimp to twice-baked - like the combination.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
REVIEW:Shrimp Mashed Potatoes - Standing Rib Roast