I want to make Snickerdoodle cookies but do not have any Cream of Tartar. Can i skip that or can I substitute it with something...

Thanks

HELP.... piano226 I want to make Snick...
Cream of Tartar is just an acid used to activate the baking soda. In SOME cases, you can just substitute another acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice, but that would not be good in the cookies.

Instead, if a recipe calls for one teaspoon of Baking Soda and two teaspoons of Cream of Tartar (such as the Snickerdoodle recipe I posted earlier), substitute four teaspoons of Baking POWDER.

Generally speaking, the usual substitution is done the other way around: when one doesn't have Baking powder, one uses 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda and 1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar. Thus, by flipping the equation around and solving for one teaspoon of Baking Soda, one would have to multiply the other ingredients by four, giving the results above.

Some conversion factors also call for 1/4 teaspoon of Cornstarch, but that is mostly in case you will not be using all of the mixture right away, since the Cornstarch will help to protect the mixture from humid air, to keep it dry until you actually add liquid to it. Of course, that is not necessary for the above mixture, since you are going in the other direction and using everything immediately.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: HELP.... labradors Cream of Tartar is j...
Thank you very much ...great information to know
HELP....