I am going to memorial service for an uncle that passed away this last week. He was distant from our family and his grown kids and their families have been very removed from our family also. I don't think I have seen my cousin in 10 years and I have never met one of my other cousins.

Anyway - the service is going to be close to my home so I have offered to have people back here to my house, my sisters, my mom and my cousins, plus my family. 15 people probably. It will be around 3:30 in the afternoon. Sort of a funny time. I am just serving non-alcoholic beverages, tea and coffee. But I can't decide what way to go with for food. Any suggestions, or thoughts on this?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Need Suggestions esgunn I am going to memori...
are you thinking like finger food
or early dinner?

if you are doing early dinner I made the tortolleni in boursin sauce from cah pasta book. Now did it like 3 times and it has been the biggest hit every time. I can post the recipe if you are interested.

I love making different appetizers. My fav is artichoke dip
Very simple

1 cup of mayo
1 cup of shredded parm. cheese
1 can drained artichoke hearts (in water)

blend it together and bake at 375 for about 20-30 min
Serve with crackers or baguette or pita bread

another one is tomatoes with fresh mozarella cheese , basil and balsamic vinegar.

another one that i did recently and people seem to really enjoy it is

slice red or orange bell pepper...in half inch slices...so they look like little boats

Mix mayo, shredded cheddar cheese and a few cloves of garlic. Stuff the mixture into the pepper slices.

This was easy and was extremely popular with people. I just recently had 20 some people over for the whole weekend. So it was non stop food serving.

Let me know if you want that tortellini recipe.

Re: Need Suggestions piano226 are you thinking lik...
With all the fresh fruit, folks could graze on a large fruit platter.
Purchased meatballs (Costco) with some kind of 'gravy' in a chafer.
Tortilla wraps go a long way.
A couple of sheet cakes (carrot & Chocolate??)

All the above are super easy, no-brainers, but folks will be sure you really care....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Need Suggestions esgunn I am going to memori...
What a coincidence, Erin, I'm doing the same thing for an uncle we haven't seen in years. His son just arrived from the South, we'll bury the ashes on Monday. Tomorrow is an open house at my Mom's so everyone can meet his son and granddaughter. I've got a 100th birthday party to attend tomorrow (no, not mine!) so I'm trying to get my share of the food done today.

Pinwheel sandwiches -using homemade boursin, gorgonzola and cream cheese, and a white bean puree as bases, smoked turkey, roast beef, some veggies, all lined up in rows so when they're cut, they look pretty. Jean (I think it was Jean) was right, torillas go a long way. And you get to use all the dips and dabs of stuff in the fridge. I'm cutting them bite sized as I'm assuming everyone will bring something.
Seven layer, well, maybe 6, Taco Dip w/ Nacho chips, lots of young folks around (Did I just say that)

Texas Brownies

Thick and Chewey Chocolate Chip Cookies, CI.

Now I have to go finish my dress for the party tomorrow. Where did the day go???

PJ
PJ

Re: Need Suggestions pjcooks What a coincidence, ...
I would go with the grazing thing. That way most things could be served cold or you could warm them just before everyone arrives. Chafing dishes and slow-cookers are handy for those things, electric skillet set as low as it will go. I have a mushroom paté that is quite tasty if you want it and easy to prepare, served at room temp.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Need Suggestions