Do you ever buy a special ingredient to make some new recipe, but by the time you actually get around to buying it you can't remember what recipe it was for?

My husband does most of our shopping at the commissary, so anything special I tend to buy at a local store. And often I will be reading through recipes and make a mental note that I like something, but I need to pick up some item that is not common in our household. But I will forget about it and then some time in the future I will be shopping and remember - oh yeah - I needed bread flour. But then I can't remember what in the world I was going to make with it. Right now I have bread flour (and all the bread recipes I was interested in - that I can remember - use all purpose four) and Phyllo dough. I bought Phyllo dough and puff pastry - and I remembered what I was going to make with the puff pastry - but no clue what I was going to make with the phyllo. Now I can find something to make with it - but what inspired me this time to buy it? Just drives me nuts!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Special ingredients esgunn Do you ever buy a sp...
Erin, if I was chasing after 3 five-year olds, I probably wouldn't remember 10 minutes ago! You must be super-organized.

I can relate to what you are talking about though, because I do it all the time, especially when I'm shopping at the Asian market. Right now, I have a bag of dried chrysanthamums that I don't have a clue what to do with. Another time is was star anise. Eventually I find a use for these things, but it's never as exciting as that original "elusive" recipe.

Just a thought, did you buy the bread flour to use in the 18 hour no-knead bread? I'm only asking because that's what I use.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Special ingredients Mare749 Erin, if I was chasi...
Same here Erin, but my problem is CRS
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Special ingredients bjcotton Same here Erin, but ...
I have a tendancy to write down a list of things I need to buy to make a recipe. For instance this is my latest list. I couldn't for the life of me remember what I was going to make:

lemon grass
lemon
lime
4 jalapenos
2 cans straw mushrooms
4# of shrimp and/or chicken (mixed if desired)
unsweetened coconut milk

Finally it came to me - Tyler Florence's Thai Chicken Soup. Oh my, that's good stuff.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Special ingredients Half_Baked I have a tendancy to...
Erin---I read so many cookbooks and recipes and am always interested in something or other---I'm not a list person when it comes to shopping because I have to settle for what looks best at the time I shop sooooo-----if I see one of those sort of "exotic" ingredients that I have seen in one of those recipes I snatch it up----now WHAT WAS THAT RECIPE I saw this in???? My pantry is a wonderful collection of "what did I buy that for"??? Interesting though, it's there if I do come across that particular recipe again---- YES, BILLY------CRS and mounting , BIG time!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I'm guilty of that also - or see a fantastic idea in a magazine and then try to find the darn magazine again!!!! At least you have the perfect excuse - Billy and I have to blame it on age...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Do you ever buy a special ingredient to make some new recipe, but by the time you actually get around to buying it you can't remember what recipe it was for?

I hate it when that happens, and I used to do it all the time. I probably posted this before but now I make my shopping lists in a word document and save it. I put my menu for the week at the top...this helps me in two ways. Sometimes I would get to the store and forget why I had a certain ingredient on the list ("What in the world did I want that for???") but also if I forget why I had certain ingredients around, I can look at last week's shopping list for the menu.
Tammy
Special ingredients