I'm not even an eggplant fan, and I love this one!! Enjoy.

SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA

Secrets From a Caterer's Kitchen, Nicole Aloni

This creamy eggplant dip was inspired by an appetizer I loved at the now-closed China Moon restaurant in San Francisco. The flavors are complex, surprising and delightfully balanced by the mellow Pita Crisps. I received raves every time my catering company introduced this at a party. It is best if made at least one
day in advance.

Pita Crisps (page 167)
2 pounds eggplant
3/4 cup packed minced green onions
2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 small serrano or Thai Chile, minced, or 1 tsp. Chinese chili paste
3 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
3/4 cup chopped, seeded and peeled tomatoes
3/4 cup packed minced fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
Sliced green onions

Prepare the Pita Crisps up to 3 days ahead.
Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).

Cut the stem ends off the eggplants and prick well all over with a knife. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30 to 45 minutes depending on size. Turn at least once while roasting. The eggplant is done when a fork sinks easily into the thickest part. It should be completely soft. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, scrape the creamy pulp from the skin into the food processor. Pulse quickly just until the eggplant is pureed.

Combine the minced green onions, ginger, garlic, and Chile in a bowl.
Combine the brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, and tarmari in a small bowl and whisk to blend.

Place a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat and swirl the canola oil around to coat the pan. Add the green onion mixture and saute until softened without. coloring, about 45 seconds. Add the sugar mixture and bring to a simmer, stirring rapidly. Reduce the heat and add the eggplant puree. Stir well to blend and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring con-stantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil, tomatoes, and cilantro and fold to blend.

This may be served immediately, but it tastes better if made 1 or 2 days before and refrigerated. Bring it back to room temperature before serving. Garnish the top with the minced cilantro and sliced green onion and surround with the Pita Crisps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis cjs I'm not even an eggp...
Ya know-----I was gonna start a new thread with EGGPLANT!!! Again--Jean beats me to it!!! I bought some beautiful shiny, ready for cooking eggplant and was going to ask y'all what your favorite recipes are for a side.

I originally thought about a Moussaka when I saw them but, inasmuch as I have not done a really good side, I thought I might throw that out to you fundies!!! We are not crazy about ratatouilles but whatever you can offer will be appreciated--- BTW---have done the parmesan thing too-----LOVE IT!!! I'm just looking for something different----:question:

Roasted eggplant with roasted zucchini, peppers and garlic is to die for in an antipasto----------with all of that olive oil-- and basil-----served with pita is an awesome appy!!! Or a light lunch---YUMMM!!!!

Thanks Jean---into MC and will be a doer!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis Roxanne 21 Ya know-----I was go...
Here's a pesto that is great to use as a topping for grilled or oven roasted veggies - I do like to grill eggplant.

SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO:
6 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
3 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons pine nuts -- toasted
2 large garlic cloves
2/3 cup basil leaves -- fresh
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
1/4 cup parsley -- flat-leaf, fresh
3 tablespoons dry white wine

Combine tomatoes & water; let stand 1 hour or till softened.
Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid.

Position knife blade in processor - drop nuts & garlic thru feed tube w/processor running; process till minced.
Add tomato, basil, cheese, and parsley; process till minced.

Add reserved 3/4 cup liquid and wine thru chute w/motor running; process till well blended.

Spoon into a zip-top plastic bag; store in frig.

-----

then there is always musaka -

-----

and Vicci posted this a while back that I copied, but have not made yet - we sure love muffulettas.....

* Exported from MasterCook *

MUFFULETTA - COOKING LIGHT
Serving Size : 4
Grilled vegetables:
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing
8 slices eggplant (about 1 pound) -- (1/2-inch-thick)
2 slices Vidalia or other sweet onion -- (1/2-inch-thick)
1 medium yellow squash -- thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper -- cut into 4 wedges
Cooking spray
Olive salad:
1 cup chopped tomato or quartered cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped pepperoncini peppers
1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
2 tablespoons pepperoncini juice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Remaining ingredients:
1 loaf French bread -- (16-ounce) cut in half horizontally
2 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
2 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat hard salami (such as Franklin)

Preparation
To prepare grilled vegetables, combine first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
Prepare grill.

Remove vegetables from plastic bag; place vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 5 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender.

To prepare olive salad, combine the tomato and next 5 ingredients (tomato through black pepper).

Hollow out bottom half of bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Arrange cheese in bottom half of the bread. Top with salami, grilled vegetables, olive salad, and top half of bread. Wrap loaf with plastic wrap; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Cut into 4 pieces just before serving.

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 384(28% from fat); FAT 11.9g (sat 4.3g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.9g); PROTEIN 16.3g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 204mg; SODIUM 1313mg; FIBER 7.9g; IRON 3.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 55.1g

Elizabeth Taliaferro , Cooking Light, MAY 2004

Description:
"Vicci posted this 5/16/07 on C@H forum"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis cjs Here's a pesto that ...
OH YUM, this will be eggplant heaven. They are usually very expensive here, easily $3 for one nice one. But now that the outdoor market is open in Ottawa, we can get them there for 50 or 75 cents each. We'll be heading up there very soon, I'm making a long shopping list
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis cjs I'm not even an eggp...
Oh thank you Jean, thank you, kiss kiss. This sounds wonderful. I knew it would be good just when I heard the name, Sesame Eggplant Salsa! Can't wait to try it
Thanks again
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis farnfam Oh thank you Jean, t...
Now about those pita crisps? How's that done? Please, when you have a minute
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis farnfam Now about those pita...
The only way I really liked eggplant was years ago when the kids were all home, I'd slice it thin and put a piece of cheese (muenster? can't remember, but it was a white, good melting cheese) between two slices, dip in egg and flour and fry those suckers up in lots of butter!!!!!!! geez, I would give my eye teeth to be able to eat like that again!!

here you go, cis - these are so good with the salsa.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PITA CRISPS
Recipe By :Nicole's Book

5 6" fresh pita
2 tablespoons EVO
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- freshly shredded
1 ounce Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
Freshly grd. coarse black pepper

Preheaat oven to 325F (165C).
Slice each pita in half and cut each half into 6 to 8 pie-shaped wedges.
If they come apart easily, separate the top and bottom of each wedge; the pieces will be crispier after baking.

Lay them out in one layer on a baking sheet. Brush the top of each piece liberally with olive oil.
Sprinklle on the shredded cheese and press it lightly to adhere to the oil.
Repeat with an even sprinkling of the grated cheese.
Finish with a lberal grinding of black pepper.

Bake for 10 to 15 min, until golden and somewhat stiff.
They will continue to crisp while cooling on the baking pan.
When completely cook, pack them in a plastic bag and seal.
They will keep for 2 to 3 days.
They can be gently crisped for 5-10 min. in a warm oven.

Variations: In addition to the Parmesan cheese, the wedges can be sprinkled with one of the following:
fennel seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, minced thyme, minced rosemary, or minced oregano.

Description:
"Makes 30-40 crisps"

Serving Ideas : great served w/Sesame Eggplant Salsa (See recipe)
www.achefsjourney.com
SESAME EGGPLANT SALSA - For Cis