Ok so I just bought a LOT of cherries. I mean how can I resist when they're in season and for $9 I get a flat of them.

So I'm thinking about pan seared duck breasts with a cherry gastrique. All the recipes I can find are for the dried cherries. I know there has to be one out there with fresh cherries.

Anyone have one that they like?

Thanks

ISO - Cherry Gastrique DFen911 Ok so I just bought ...
Just use the fresh instead---add a little more according to your taste buds!!! You the new chef-babe--- go for it!!!

Wow---fresh cherries!!!! NICE!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique Roxanne 21 Just use the fresh i...
Denise, here's one I've used, you could sub your cherries -

4 c. champagne vinegar
2 c. raspberries
1/2 chopped fresh sage
a few peppercorns
bay leaf

reduce to 2. c
Strain through chinois

add 2 c. sugar

reduce to syrup consistancy

I warm the gastrique till it just starts to bubble but not boil then mount 1/4 pound of butter to it just like you were making a beurre blanc. The trick is the temp of the gastrique and not allow to "break".

you can also finish it with a touch of cream or demi.

does that help any?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique cjs Denise, here's one I...
Cherries are here too, if you care to pay $16.99 for 100gms. (3 and 1/3 oz)
  Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique cjs Denise, here's one I...
Jean you strain it? I would think that you'd want that delicious fruit bits.

I'm going to give this a shot! Now the real challenge will be finding duck. Doh!

Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique DFen911 Jean you strain it? ...
hmmm, guess you could give a try to not straining.... This would be awfully good over the C@H pan seared duck breasts. (If I can find them up here, you should have no trouble!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique cjs hmmm, guess you coul...
Here's the only one I found online using fresh cherries. Looks rather simple:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry Gastrique

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cuppitted cherries
1/4 cupcherry or cranberry juice
2 tbl red wine vinegar
3 tbl granulated sugar

In a medium size stainless steel pot, combine the vinegar and sugar and cook over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the juice and cook over a low heat for10 minutes, add the pitted cherries and remove the pan from the heat.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: ISO - Cherry Gastrique bjcotton Here's the only one ...
I wouldn't try that one - that's not the intent of gastrique, the ratio is all off. well, the whole thing is off as far as a gastrique goes.

a gastrique is the combination of caramelized sugar and vinegar reduction - some make it separately (caramelize the sugar and add to the vinegar) and some combine and do the reduction.

sorry Billy, that one is just so wrong on so many levels. Might be a good ice cream sauce, tho.
www.achefsjourney.com
ISO - Cherry Gastrique