Hi -

After many years of working in the Kraft Kitchen, I have a lot of great appetizer recipes that I can share.

Here is a real favorite of mine - you make it ahead and freeze it. Then defrost the night before the party so they are ready to bake. I made mine last week, so I am ready to go!

If you are looking for some other new recipes, let me know - I'd love to help.

Lisa

Make-Ahead Spinach Phyllo Roll-Ups

Prep: 30 min.
Total: 55 min.

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
1 cup Athenos Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese
1 tub (8 oz.) Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Light Cream Cheese Spread
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
15 sheets frozen phyllo sheets (14x9 inch), thawed
1/3 cup butter, melted

MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until well blended. Set aside.

PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the remaining butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between sheets of plastic wrap; set aside.

SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of the short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter. To prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or overnight until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F-oven for 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on cutting board. Cut each log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.

Makes 5 logs, 6 slices each or 30 servings, 1 slice each.

How to Prepare with 18x14-inch Phyllo Sheets:
Use a total of 9 phyllo sheets, spreading 1/3 of the filling on each stack of 3 sheets and rolling up each stack to make a total of 3 logs. Freeze and bake as directed. Cut each log into 10 slices to serve.

Variation:
Omit butter. Spray phyllo sheets with cooking spay instead of brushing with the melted butter.

Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? lisafromkraft Hi - [br][br]After m...
Oh my, I'll skip the spanakopitas, thank you!! Too many years of making hundreds at a time - I'll wait for more postings. (but they are awfully good!)

Great thread to start! Here's a few to add -

* Exported from MasterCook *

TERRINES OF SMOKED SALMON & SCALLOPS

2 lbs sea scallops
1 c dry white wine
1 1/3 c Chives -- fresh
3/4 c Creme Fraiche -- or sour cream
1/2 c minced fresh tarragon + 3 T.
5 tbsps Dijon mustard
1 1/3 c diced peeled seeded English hothouse cucumber
1 lb thinly sliced smoked slamon
3/4 c olive oil
1/3 c tarragon vinegar
2 bunch watercress -- thick stems trimmed
2 head Belgian endive -- large

Combine scallops & wine in skillet. Cover & simmer over med. heat till scallops are just opaque in center, ~5 min. Drain; chill till cold ~2 hours. Cut scallops into 1/2" pcs.

Line 12 3/4-cup souffle dishes w/plastic wrap, extending over sides by 3". Whisk 1 cup fresh chives, creme fraiche, 1/2 cup tarragon & 3 T. mustard in large bowl to blend.

Gently stir in scallops & cucumber. Season w/salt/Pepper. Cut 12 rounds from salmon slices to fit bottom of souffle dishes; place 1 round in each dish.

Top each with 1/4 cup scallop mixture. Top each w/another layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Divide remaining scallop mixture among dishes - about 1/4 cup for each. Top each with a third layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Fold plastic wrap overhang over terrines to enclose completely. Chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

Whisk oil, vinegar & 1/3 cup chives, 3 T. tarragon & 2 T. mustard in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste w/salt/pepper.

Unfold plastic wrap atop each terrine. Invert 1 terrine onto each of 12 plates. Peel off plastic wrap from each terrine. Surround each terrine w/watercress sprigs & endive leaves. Drizzle greens & terrines w/vinaigrette & serve.

Description:
"These can be made one day ahead, then drizzle w/vinaigrette just before serving."

---

SMOKED SALMON TARTS

4 piecrusts -- refrigerated, 9"
1 1/2 cups half and half
4 eggs -- beaten
1/4 pound salmon -- smoked & chopped
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
1/4 cup green onions -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dillweed -- dried, whole
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut each piecrust into 14 circles, using a 2 1/2" round cutter. Place rounds in greased miniature (1 3/4") muffin cups; trim excess pastry.

Combine 1/2 & 1/2 and eggs in medium bowl; stir w/wire whisk till well blended.
Stir in salmon & remaining ingredients.

Spoon 1 T. salmon mixture into each pastry shell. Bake at 375 for 25-30 min. or till set.
Remove from pans, & cool on wire racks.

TO STORE: Freeze tarts in a labeled airtight container up to 2 weeks.
TO SERVE: Thaw at room temp. Place on baking sheets; cover and bake at 375 for 5-10 min. or till hot.

Yield:
"4 dozen"

Serving Ideas : Wines: White:California or Washington Sauvignon Blanc; French or New Zealand Riesling
Red: California Melot, or Pinot Noir; Australia Shiraz; Oregon Pinot Noir

----

and of course, it's not the holidays without:

CAVIAR "PIE"

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey party recipe

6 lg hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
3 Tbsps mayonnaise
1 lg sweet onion, finely chopped
8 ozs cream cheese, softened
2/3 c sour cream
3 1/2 ozs Caviar
Lemon wedges & Parsley sprigs for garnish

Rub bottom and sides of an 8" springform pan with butter, or spray with cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine eggs and mayonnaise till well blended.
Spread in bottom of pan to make an even layer; sprinkle with onion.
Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat till smooth.
By the spoonful, drop onto onion and with a wet table knife, spread gently to smooth.
Cover and chill at least three hours or overnight.

At party time, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan.
Run a knife around sides of pan; loosen & lift off the sides.
Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel and fill center with parsley sprigs.

Description:
"Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar can be used. Serves 12-15 guests"

Serving Ideas : Serve with small slices of pumpernickel bread, or some sort of cocktail bread rounds.

An what else to drink with iit??? Champagne, of course
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? lisafromkraft Hi - [br][br]After m...
Lisa, we'll take anything you have the time to share with us. We all love new recipes. Please let us know what we can post for you.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? Mare749 Lisa, we'll take any...
Hey, where's your offering Maryann?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? cjs Hey, where's your of...
Jean, you guys are all way over my head! I would love to post something, I just can't think of what. Okay, here's one that comes to mind. Don't think I've seen this one around lately.

Nutmeg Logs (these taste just like eggnog)

1 cup of butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine butter with vanilla, beat in sugar, then blend in egg. Mix together flour, nutmeg and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix well. Grabbing a handful of dough, shape into a long roll about 1/2 inch in width. Cut into 2" lengths. Put on greased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Cool on rack. Spread with frosting, sprinkle with nutmeg.

Glaze:
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. rum or rum extract
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T. cream or milk
food coloring if desired

Cream butter with vanilla, add rum and blend in sugar and cream (or milk). Beat until smooth. Put in pastry bag and pipe icing onto each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Makes about 8 dozen cookies

Happy Holidays.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? Mare749 Jean, you guys are a...
And here's one more. My mom used this recipe when we were kids, so it's an oldy but goody.

Ham Glaze
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 T. prepared yellow mustard
3 T. honey
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Heat ready cooked ham in 325 degree oven until 140 degrees. About 1/2 hour before done, spread on glaze.

Makes enough glaze for 14 lb. ham.

Happy Holidays.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? Mare749 And here's one more....
Thanks Mare, that is pretty much what I do, this year though, I think I will mix in some bitter marmalade.

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? vannin Thanks Mare, that is...
Now that's an interesting thought! Would that cut the sweetness a bit? I've always liked that glaze, but it sure is sweet. And what is bitter marmalade?

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? Mare749 Now that's an intere...
This is one Jean gave me, but it's right tasty:

Bacon Crisps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound sliced bacon -- cut in half
1 sleeve Waverly Wafers or other buttery rec

Barbie's sister made a tin full of these. They were gobbled up by Americans and Brits alike.
These can be frozen after they're cooked. Place the frozen crisps on a baking sheet and reheat
them for 5 minutes in a 350°F oven.

Preheat the oven to 250F.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each cracker
and wrap tightly with a strip of bacon (no toothpick required!). Place the wrapped crackers on a broiler rack on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet on the oven rack; bake for 2 hours, or until the bacon is done. 1) Do not turn. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 3 servings
NOTE: We were a little impatient during our testing and baked these at 350°F for about 40 minutes, with good results.

Here's one of mine, I know I've posted this before, but it is quite good:

Mushroom Pate

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 4 oz onion -- peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic -- peeled
3/4 pound crimini mushrooms -- cleaned & quartered
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almonds -- roasted

In a food processor, whirl onion and garlic, pulsing on and off, until very finely chopped. Scrape into a bowl. Add half the mushrooms to processor and pulse until finely chopped (take care not to puree); scrape into bowl with onion mixture. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.

In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushroom-onion mixture, thyme, and 1-tsp salt; stir often until liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread almonds in an 8-inch square pan. Bake in a 350F oven, shaking pan occasionally, until nuts are golden beneath skins, about 10 minutes. Pour into food processor. Whirl until nuts are as finely ground as possible. Stir into warm mushroom mixture.

Pack into a small bowl (at least 2 1/2-cup capacity) or two 1-cup ramekins; cover with plastic wrap. Chill overnight to blend flavors. Bring to room temperature and serve.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Need any New Year's appetizer recipes? bjcotton This is one Jean gav...
Thought I would bump this up to the top since there are some great recipes on here. Dale, if you see this, what is bitter marmalade?

Maryann
Maryann

Need any New Year's appetizer recipes?