Hi All,
Most of you are quite knowledgeable and experienced so, please share. How, when and why, would one use a digital scale. Do you eliminate measuring cups and spoons? I've never used one and would love to know what I've been missing. Thanks oh wise teachers/sensei, your humble servant awaits instruction.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups farnfam Hi All,[br]Most of y...
I can only say - Accuracy.

Fluffing up flour (and how much fluff does it really take), scooping it in a measure cup and carefully scraping off top vs. putting a mixing bowl on the scale, taring, and measuring the amount you need (all-purpose, unsifted = 5 oz.)

that's of course, just one example - but accuracy is the main reason I use a scale whenever possible. But, I certainly hang on to my measuring cups and spoons also.

I have a list taped to the inside of one of my cupboard doors with the weight of misc. ingredients - flours, sugars, chips, nuts, etc. that I use most often.

I guess I'd have to add a bit of laziness also - you don't dirty any extra utensils. When you add each ingredient to a bowl, then you can just 'tare' the scale back to '0' and add the next ingred.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
   Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups farnfam Hi All,[br]Most of y...

Post deleted by sysadmin ...
"Digital scales are best used for baking and pastry." Gotta disagree with you on this, Steve. For the home cook measuring/weighing smaller amounts than used in a professional kitchen, the digital scale is a treasure and/or a must for any ingredients.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups cjs "Digital scales are ...
Jean, why don't you post your chart?

We had a discussion on how much a cup of walnuts and chocolate chips was. If I recall, 1 cup of walnuts is 4 oz. and 1 cup of chocolate chips is 6 oz. I wish there was a chart that would tell us. I guess that is my next "search" to find one.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups bjcotton Jean, why don't you ...
You took the words right out of my mouth. I second that request!

Jean, I chuckled when I read your post. My mom used to tape notes on the inside of cupboards too, so it became natural for me to do that as well. I have a couple of conversion charts inside mine and the basic instructions for using my pasta roller.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups Mare749 You took the words r...
Ask Jean what happened at her daughter's house last Christmas when taping a recipe to her cupboard. I've got all kinds of lists taped inside the cupboards and when I cook from a recipe it's taped to the outside.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups bjcotton Ask Jean what happen...
When it comes to measuring cups I mainly only use them for liquid measuring. Everything else I do on my scale. I do hate recipes that call for 1/2 cup packed brown sugar because it's so vague. How hard do you pack? It's why I look for recipes that call for 8 oz brown sugar instead

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups DFen911 When it comes to mea...
So am I understanding that if a recipe calls for a cup of flour, you should use a measuring cup,...if it calls for 8 oz. of flour, you should use a scale!?#*&!@ Or are you saying if it calls for a cup of flour, you always use the scale...darn, I've even confused myself!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!

Re: Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups Bizymomma So am I understandin...
I relate to that, Angela----only too well, I'm afraid--watch this space though---they will straighten us out!!

I tried the scale measurement for dry goods today on fritters---can't really say there was much difference. I will do another recipe soon that I do often and try again--tough teaching an old bird new tricks--but willing, I am!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Cooking with Digital Scale vs. Measuring Cups