Issue 45 Page 18 (I think)

Okay Jan--this is one of our favorites from [Email]C@H[/Email] -- tasty, light, not too much fuss but takes longer than the 45 minutes they allowed---make extra, it's worth it!!

CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
Makes 10 cups; Total time: 45 minutes

For the chicken---
Poach:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
3 TBS soy sauce
Water

For the dressing---
Combine:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cilantro leaves (I use Italian parsley)
3 TBS rice wine vinegar
2 TBS Asian sesame oil
2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
Pinch cayenne

For the toppings---
Toast:
2 TBS sesame seeds
Melt; Add:
1 TBS unsalted butter
2/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

To assemble---
Toss with the dressing:
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 1/2 cups chow mein noodles
3 carrots, grated
Poached chicken
Garnish with:
Toasted sesame seeds
Caramelized almonds

Poach chicken in a medium saucepan with soy sauce and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Remove chicken; cut into bite sized pieces.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring often. Remove from the pan and cool.
Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and saute until golden, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir until melted and combined. Spread on foil to cool--it will harden like candy, after cooling, crumble.
Toss lettuce, noodles, carrots and chicken with dressing to coat.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and caramelized almonds.

OPTION

Sesame Fried Chicken
For a crunchy alternative to the poached chicken (and not as healthy but ohhh sooo good!!!), top the salad with [Email]C@H[/Email] golden fried chicken chunks.

Makes 3 cups
Total time 1 1/4 hours

Marinate:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup buttermilk
Whisk; Coat Chicken in:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 TBS sesame seeds
2 Tsp paprika
2 tsp kosher salt
Fry in:
Vegetable or corn oil

Marinate chicken in buttermilk for 1 hour in the fridge.
Whisk together flour mixture; toos chicken pieces to coat.
Fry chicken in batches (2 or 3) in oil heated to 360 degrees F; drain on paper towels.

This was created by a firefighter in San Francisco---Terry Woo (Airport Rescue 1). The recipe and many other great ones are in a book "Firehouse Food" ---the proceeds of the book purchase go to the firefighters fund post 911.

I have made both versions and they are both great--I lean a little more toward the fried version for the texture but you can't beat either one for a delicious meal!! Those almonds are the ultimate topper!! We don't have ready made chow mein noodles here so I make my own which adds a little more time---don't leave them out!!

Let us know what you think----please!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Chinese Chicken Salad Roxanne 21 Issue 45 Page 18 (I ...
Roxanne, that will be my favorite new chicken salad, I believe. Undoubtably I will enjoy the fried chicken on top much more than the poached.

Thank you so much!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Chinese Chicken Salad Roxanne 21 Issue 45 Page 18 (I ...
Roxanne, I remember this recipe from that issue(it was a while back wasn't it). Somehow it seems more inviting than ever now
Would you explain how to make your own chow mein noodles, if you get a minute sometime?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad farnfam Roxanne, I remember ...
Darn---I forgot to mention issue-----45.

Anyway the noodles are those dried ones found in those little side packages when buying take out. Made these by accident one day---lucky day!!!

Just boil up a bunch of Chinese egg noodles--they usually come in a cellophane packet with four "cakes". About 5 minutes should do it then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Heat up some veg/corn/peanut oil (which ever you prefer)and FRY the cooked noodles. Once they hit the hot oil they will sink then quickly rise to the top---you will be able to see how quickly they brown and you must pay attention otherwise they are burnt!!! Just remove to a paper towel for draining and there you have it---easy. They will also last for a very long time in a tupperware type bowl.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Chinese Chicken Salad Roxanne 21 Darn---I forgot to m...
Great idea Roxanne - happen to have some of the noodles in the pantry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Chinese Chicken Salad