Okay all you chefs out there....about how long will fresh ground pepper stay good sitting in a bowl on the counter?
My pepper mill doesn't work that great so I like to toss a handful of peppercorns into my spice mill and grind up a little bit extra.
Loving every moment of my life!!

Fresh ground pepper Bizymomma Okay all you chefs o...
That's a good question. We really enjoy pepper and go through it here...so I have no idea at all. Maybe I need to "google!"

I found this:

Store whole peppercorns in a sealed container in a cool, dry place up to one year. Some sources claim properly stored, sealed peppercorns can still be viable up to three years. Ground pepper begins to lose flavor after about four months, so if you don't use a lot of pepper, avoid those huge cans. Brined peppercorns need to be refrigerated after opening and used within a month. Water-packed peppercorns have the shortest shelf life after opening -- they should refrigerated and used within one week

Re: Fresh ground pepper dollop That's a good questi...
I also use a lot of pepper. Two of the magazines I take, Cook's Illustrated and one other, can't remember which, did a test on pepper mills. Again, I can't remember which one was recommended, but I bought it and am very happy with it. It cost $40 and had the word Magnum in the name.

My sis, Fredia, doesn't like the spiciness of fresh ground pepper on a finished product, so she used the red & white canned stuff . I have 5 diferent kinds of peppercorns and like each one for it's own flavor.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Fresh ground pepper bjcotton I also use a lot of ...
I have no idea Angela, and I guess I've never thot about it - I buy the large containers (for everyday pepper) and use them till they're gone, probably longer than a year. So, I suppose I just continually add more as time goes???? That's one container I don't normally date, will have to do that and see next time... interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Fresh ground pepper cjs I have no idea Angel...
That pepper mill I was talking about is Magnum Plus Pepper Mill by Unicorn.

Billy

Re: Fresh ground pepper bjcotton That pepper mill I w...
I have this wonderful peppercorn gadget that gives the amount you wish, when you wish and how you wish. It is clear plastic composite and has rabbit ears that you squeeze for the amount you desire---it is a UK thing but I have seen in Chef's Catalogue---great product and used by many UK chefs!! Cheap too!!! Sorry, can't recall the name of the product---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Fresh ground pepper Roxanne 21 I have this wonderfu...
Oh God Roxanne, I still have shivers about that peppermill - had one and for some reason could not ever get a good hand on it - last time I used it, it dropped into a pot of stew...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Fresh ground pepper cjs Oh God Roxanne, I st...
You gotta do it with DRY hands----sort of, kind of---I have used every type of mill invented---this is the best for me only because it requires one hand and doesn't leave all kinds of smudge on the mill---my way of saying oil, butter, mayo, etc---also really easy to clean if necessary--I really like my rabbits!! UHHH___i have not used one of those professional models though--maybe I should get my hands on one of those some day--not available to the general public here---any suggestions for mail order from the US??

I bet that stew was tasty!!!!

Re: Fresh ground pepper Roxanne 21 You gotta do it with...
Jean's got this brass one with a windie handle on the top. It might come up missing one of these days. I just like the looks of it. I have one of those rabbit ears type pepper mill..has a clear plastic ball type bottom right? Had two of them, one for pepper and one for salt. I think I gave one to one of my friends

Billy

Re: Fresh ground pepper bjcotton Jean's got this bras...
Yup that's the one---I have the salt companion as well--don't use that one as much because I like my little dish and spoon with the sea salt---just one of my quirks--
Fresh ground pepper