Hi Guys,

PLease help oh help. SO I was suppose to have a few people over for dinner...and they cannot make it. Meanwhile I bought 3 eggplants to make this persian eggplant dip..I can give a recipe to anybody who wants it...but be warned you have have a persian market near by since one of the ingredients you cannot get in a regular store....

Anyways, can somebody post the recipe of that eggplant dish...I have to use mine with something.

Thanks

Eggplant recipe from New Issue piano226 Hi Guys,[br][br]PLea...
No mag here yet. These recipes are NOT tried.

Here's recipes from Food Network: http://tinyurl.com/y2ty7o

Here's another: http://teriskitchen.com/vegetable/eggplant-g.html
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue Half_Baked No mag here yet. Th...
Eggplant Rollatini
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 15)
Makes: 6 Rollatinis, ;2 Cups Sauce Total Time: 1 1/4 Hours Rating: Easy

For the Eggplant—
Prepare; Brush with:
1 eggplant (1 lb.)
3 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper

For the Filling—
Combine:
1/2 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup whole milk ricotta
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. lemon zest, minced
1/2 t. minced fresh thyme
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/4 t. kosher salt

For the Sauce—
Heat; Add and Simmer:
2 T. olive oil
1/4 cup onion, grated
1 T. garlic, minced
1 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 T. dry white wine
2 t. tomato paste

Puree:
Sweated vegetable mixture
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup heavy cream

For the Topping—
Assemble; Top with:
Prepared sauce
4 slices fresh mozzarella (2 oz.)
1 T. almonds, chopped

Preheat oven to 450°; line a baking sheet with a cooling rack.

Prepare the eggplant by first cutting off the stem, then slicing lengthwise into six slices, about 1/4"-thick (see Online Video). Lay slices on the prepared baking rack, brush with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 8 minutes per side, remove from oven, cover with foil (do not turn off oven).

Combine all ingredients for the filling in a bowl; set aside.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, bell pepper, wine, and tomato paste. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until peppers are soft, 10–12 minutes, stirring often.

Puree vegetables in a food processor with the basil and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.

Assemble by spooning about 1/4 cup sauce on the bottom of two small casserole dishes or 2/3 cup in a 9x 9" baking dish. Spread 2 T. of filling on each eggplant slice, roll, then place them seam-side down in the prepared baking dishes. Top rolls with more sauce, mozzarella, and almonds. Bake until golden, 15–20 minutes.
Loving every moment of my life!!

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue Bizymomma Eggplant Rollatini[b...
Oh that does sound good. Roxanne, so before you would bake it in the oven, would you degorge it?

Roxanne - "Are you guys "degorging" (I think that's the term??) the eggplant before preparing??? That means slicing, putting in a colander and sprinkling salt over--let sit for about two hours for the juices to run out. This will eliminate the bitterness that you speak of. The slices are then dried--meaning juices squeezed out-- before further cooking. I do this by placing the slices in a single layer on a doubled paper towel. Cover with another layer of paper towels---using the heel of my hand, I press down and voila--juices gone!!"
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue Half_Baked Oh that does sound g...
Great thank you so much...for the recipe...let me know if anybody is interested in the persian recipe...came from the persian family actually.

We love the stuff.

Thanks again
  Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue Half_Baked Oh that does sound g...
Absolutely---before you cook in any manner--always degorge--still not sure if that's the correct terminology but--

I understand that the new generation of eggplant does not require this step but I do it anyway--sooo much better. The eggplant also absorbs less of the olive oil or whatever you use if this step is followed, an added benefit.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Eggplant recipe from New Issue Roxanne 21 Absolutely---before ...
Hi Marina, I think you will love the Rollatini! I didn't "degorge", but you might want to just in case, it could help. I would recommend that you pan fry for 8min per side instead of in the oven. I think it would greatly improve the eggplant flavor. My cookie sheet in the oven, first try, didn't seem done enough. There's a good little video showing how to slice and roll the eggplant. If you need it, I can post the link (Tammy sent it to me and it's very helpful).
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Eggplant recipe from New Issue