There has been a lot of questions about people in other countries storing eggs outside the refrigerator. I finally found a definitive answer:

Refrigerating Eggs

In Europe, eggs are kept on the counter, while here in America we are told to keep them refrigerated. Here is why.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, all eggs sold in U.S. supermarkets must be washed and sanitized before being transported and stored at temperatures no higher than 45 degrees Fahrenheit. They must remain refrigerated (the USDA recommends storing eggs at 40 degrees) for two main reasons: to keep existing bacteria from rapidly multiplying and to stop additional bacteria from entering through the shell, made porous because washing removes a protective outer layer called the cuticle. Because eggs sold in the European Union are never washed, they can be stored unrefrigerated in a cool, dry place. But here in the States, don’t even think about keeping your eggs out on the counter.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Storing Eggs bjcotton There has been a lot...
Interesting article!!! I always keep four eggs out at room temp---for baking. The rest are always in the fridge--I have noticed that the eggs here are never washed---YUCK!! so I sort of give them a quick going over before they are stored in the egg basket---I'm wondering now if I should--hmmm
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Storing Eggs Roxanne 21 Interesting article!...
I have never kept my eggs in the fridge, neither did my mother or Grandmother. Grandmother didn't have one anyway. I have never had an upset. We buy from a free range place up the road, and the eggs look very clean, but I know he doesn't wash them.
  Storing Eggs bjcotton There has been a lot...
when we raised chickens, I used to pick the 'big stuff' (sorry ) off and often did not rinse until I was ready to use - except when the family was in the kitchen and they were grossed out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Storing Eggs cjs when we raised chic...
When we raised chickens we washed the eggs and scrubbed with a toothbrush and still kept them in a basket on the counter. We are still here and no one ever had a tummy problem, maybe we were just lucky. Now we have store eggs, I keep them in the fridge, but only because I want the counter space and they're not pretty like the brown ones were. Just my 2cents
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Storing Eggs farnfam When we raised chick...
This posting set my mind to "thinking" about when I was a small child. I can close my eyes and see my maternal grandmother(Italian) lovingly wash fresh eggs in warm water prior to their use. How that sticks in my 51 year old mind! ~sigh~ Her delicate routine is now part of mine...I guess out of habit, more or less.

Believe it or not, I want to raise a few chickens! We had a few when I was young and collecting the eggs was my job. But a fresh egg is a "special" treat!

Re: Storing Eggs dollop This posting set my ...
Dollop, we'd like to raise a few chickens too someday. I don't think we're allowed to where we live now, but we'll most likely be moving in a few years. The bird flu thing scares me a little, but how lovely it would be to have fresh eggs.

I just read an article on AOL about how farmers choose the color of the egg yolks...they feed a certain color dye or something that gets deposited in the yolk giving it the desired color. I can't believe even eggs have food coloring in them...sheesh.
Tammy

Re: Storing Eggs TwilightKitten Dollop, we'd like to...
We fed ours all kinds of natural products (marigolds, too) but they loved when Nanny or Mamma made biscuits and would give them the little scraps of dough. When the chickens saw them first thing in the morning they would come running to peck away at those scraps!

We are in the country and can certainly raise a few, but I want to do more research to insure good health (for the very reason you mention).

Re: Storing Eggs dollop We fed ours all kind...
Oh dollop you reminded me of how those chickens loved scraps. How funny to see them looking in the pan, cocking their head to the side to see with one eye and then the other. They would gorge themselves on leftover mac&cheese, they wouldn't stop to take a drink, we thought they were afraid someone would get more than they got.
And that little clucking song they'd do, they were so proud they'd laid an egg!
Of all the farm animals we experimented with, chickens were by far the best return for your money.
I'll be clucking happily for the rest of the day now teehee
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Storing Eggs farnfam Oh dollop you remind...
I think that when "we" say we wash fresh eggs, we are talking about a different "washing" than when "they" wash eggs. I would be willing to bet they are washed with harsh chemicals instead of maybe warm water and a little soap. When we wash them, we are gentle and if we use soap at all, it is probably a mild dish soap. As they say, I think we are talking apples and oranges here.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Storing Eggs