So what are we planning for New Years Eve and or New Years Day?  Any ideas, plans . . . ????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Monday January 1, 2018 New Years Dinner Harborwitch So what are we plann...
No plans yet. I think we might be having a quiet weekend at home. We were invited to join some friends for a party, but Ron came down with the flu and actually had to take off work. I woke up this a.m. with a head cold, so I don't think we are going to be doing much. Sure glad I made Jean's turkey noodle soup yesterday. Big Grin
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Here’s hoping Jean’s soup helps you get well quickly, Maryann!

We will probably do fillet mignon and use up our twice baked potatoes left from Ashley’s Christmas dinner with a salad or asparagus on the side.

New Year’s Day will be tradition...pork of some kind with black eyed peas and collard greens.  (Pork will likely be smoked sausage in the beans.  Big Grin)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Thanks, Daphne. I'm not nearly as sick as Ron and my appetite hasn't been affected. Wink

Whenever you talk about pork, beans and collards, it makes me want to head south for some good southern cooking! Does William put hot sauce on his collards? We love it that way. Even little Tommy caught the hot sauce bug.

I'm counting on Ron feeling better by New Years Day so we can have dinner with our girls. Traditional meal for us is a pork roast, cooked with sauerkraut and some bratwursts. Then I make mashed potatoes to go with that. My son-in-law, James, (Heather's hubbie) makes cabbage and noodles, a dish that he grew up on and he brings that. I usually bake a casserole of scalloped apples to go with. By the time we get through this meal, we usually don't need to eat much for a few days.
Maryann

Cabbage & noodles???  Scalloped apples???  Do we have recipes for these??  WTH???  

We haven't made any plans . . . I am dying to make a cod and clam chowder . . . but we have New Yorks in the freezer.  It just hit us that we might be able to get our hands on a Dungeness Crab - that would be perfection!  

For several years I made "Hoppin' John" until we both realized that neither one of us liked it!  

The best part of the New Years celebrations is that Opie is maybe 97% Opie!
So glad Opie is doing better! You must be so relieved!

Sorry, no real recipes for either one. The scalloped apples are just like you would make an apple pie, only without the crust and maybe a bit less sugar. Take peeled, sliced, apples, sprinkle with a bit of lemon juice, sugar, flour and butter and put them in a baking dish. Into the oven until the apples are soft.

For the cabbage and noodles, we just use those packaged soup noodles or kluski noodles. Saute a thinly sliced onion in some butter with sliced cabbage until nice and tender. James uses those maple sausage breakfast links. He cooks them up, then slices them into rings to add to the sausage. It's really quite good, but not necessarily authentic Eastern European. You can use any kind of sausage you like, sliced or crumbled. And, that's it.

About the apples, a few times I was able to buy a big tray of them at GFS.
Maryann

Happy new year to all.  Lets stay in touch!! I will try and do better. Wink
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Oh Maryann thank you!  Both of those sound really good.  

BTW - I am going to the Gluten Free grocery store/bakery and see if they have GF vanilla wafers.  I must make Rum Balls!  

Opie is so much better - he's like a new dog!  

Old Bay!!!  It is great to see you and I agree, let's do stay in touch!  I really want to see this forum start to get busy again.
Rum balls, yes!

So nice to see you Bill. Please do stay in touch! Our little group keeps shrinking. Sad
Maryann

Hi Bill and Jane!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Monday January 1, 2018 New Years Dinner