Star    
It's time to review our Mystery-Box meals. What did you make with:
  • Reimagined Thanksgiving leftovers
  • Almonds
  • Popcorn
  • Bacon
  • Zucchini
Taking the easy way out, I decided to make... 

Thanksgiving-Leftover Croquettes
Makes 6 croquettes

Ingredients:
For the Croquettes:
  • 1 C Leftover sage stuffing
  • 1 C Shredded leftover turkey
  • 1 C Popped popcorn
  • 1/2 C Ground almonds
  • 1/2 C Grated zucchini
  • 2 Rashers of cooked bacon, crumbled
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tbsp Finely chopped Italian parsley
For coating: 
  • 1 Egg, beaten
  • Cornstarch, as needed
For the dipping sauce:
  • 1/2 Can (7 Oz) Cranberry sauce
  • Sliced, pickled jalapeños, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:
For the croquettes:
  1. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl. 
  2. Form mixture into 6 croquettes (about 1/2 C of mixture per croquette).
  3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. 
  4. Dip a croquette into beaten egg to coat.
  5. Roll the croquette in cornstarch for a light coating. 
  6. Repeat with remaining croquettes.
  7. Deep fry the croquettes (in batches, if necessary) at 350F until the insides are 165F.
For the dipping sauce:
  • Purée all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
[Image: gVgkjJu.jpg]

The croquettes were the first idea to come to mind, given the combination of ingredients. The recipe is my own creation, but I do acknowledge that, once I had the idea, I did a Google search just to see what was out there and some of the results in the listing mentioned a cranberry-jalapeño sauce, so I threw together my own quick idea for that.

Actually, the whole thing turned out very well and I would make it all again. My mom enjoyed it and was surprised at how delicious the sauce turned out. I never would have considered this combination of ingredients for croquettes were it not for this challenge, but it worked. (To be perfectly honest, when I saw the list, fritters or croquettes immediately came to mind and that's why I added zucchini to the list: it would be neutral and add moisture while still allowing the rest of Mystery Box to go in either the savoury or sweet direction depending upon which leftovers one would choose. I hope you all enjoyed this Mystery Box as much as I did.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews labradors It's time to review ...
Looks delicious, Rob!  I almost did something similar, but then came up with this idea.

[Image: zu2s0x.jpg]

What you are looking at here is a turkey salad sandwich on popcorn bread.  I made a regular turkey salad sandwich filling with minced turkey, a little mayo, salt and pepper, some minced onion and pickles, then at the last minute added some toasted sliced almonds. I put that on toasted popcorn bread with crispy bacon slices and spinach. For the zucchini, we sliced and breaded some zucchini chips, then deep-fried. They were delicious, but I forgot to take a picture before we ate all of them. This meal was really fun and easy, too. We would definately eat this again.

A note about the popcorn bread. I found out it is important to put the popped corn into the food processor shortly after popping. I made the popcorn the night before and put it into an air tight container, but when I tried to process it, it was like hard pellets. So, I had to pop it all over again. The bread is delicious fresh baked, but for this sandwich, we liked it toasted.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Looks good. Haven't made the Popcorn Bread in a while. Considering how long ago I posted that recipe, I wonder how many people are still making it.
I was going to do a riff on the old Broccoli and Chicken casserole using zucchini instead of broccoli and popcorn bread on the side and toasted bread cubes on top of the casserole.  I just ran out of time.  Sorry guys!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Both look great!
It looks great Labs & Maryann!  

With the sudden move I just ran totally out of time and energy to do anything.  Sigh.  When I get squared away at the new job and we get unpacked and re-settled I will have more time for cooking . . . I hope!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
That looks so juicy, Maryann. That's a home baked bread it, right?
Why thank you, EG, and welcome to the forum. We are always happy to have new members.

Yes, that is Popcorn Bread. I think Labs posted the recipe a few years ago and a few of us enjoy making it once in a while. If you would like the recipe, I'm sure Labs can find the original thread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
HERE is the recipe for the Popcorn Bread. It was originally from a book I have about New-England inns and when I posted it several years ago, a number of forum members ran with it, even shaping it as hamburger and hotdog buns.
Popcorn Bread is one of our favorites.  Now that I seem to be able to ease into Canadian/European flours I think I'll make it again soon.  Best hamburger buns ever!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Thanksgiving-Leftover Mystery Box reviews