Hi everyone.  I'm posting this early, so it will give everyone plenty of time to enjoy Jean's b-day dinner and have time to get ready for the next one.

Funny how this time of the year, I always seem to have more of a taste for Mexican food, starting with Cinco de Mayo!  So, when I saw this recipe in the brand new Cuisine issue #123, it was as if it was written for me.  So, here it is and I hope that more of you will want to join in.  Reviews will be due on 5/29 (please don't post before that date) and pix are always enjoyed, but not required.

To participate, just prepare the following recipes (one or both) and come back on 5/29 to report your thoughts on the dish.

CHICKEN FAJITA TACOS

If you want, marinate the chicken for up to 3 hours.  Longer than that and the acid in the marinade will squeeze out the moisture, making the chicken tough.

1 Tbsp. minced lime zest
¼ cup fresh lime juice
4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. adobo sauce
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
1 tsp. each ground cumin, ground coriander, dried oregano and kosher salt.
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 each small red and yellow bell peppers, cut into strips (3 cups)
1 small onion, sliced  (1½ cups)
8 flour or corn tortillas (6-inch) warmed
1 avocado, diced
½ cup crumbled Cotija

1. Combine zest, lime juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, cilantro, adobo sauce, garlic, chipotle, cumin, coriander, oregano, and salt in a shallow dish for the marinade.  Add chicken, cover, and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

2. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high until shimmering.  Add bell peppers and red onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes; transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

3. Add chicken and marinade to same skillet.  Cook, over medium-high heat, until chicken is cooked through and marinade is reduced, 5-6 minutes.

4. Divide chicken among tortillas and top with bell peppers and red onion, avocado, and Cotija.

Servings: 4
Yield: 8 tacos

Tip:
Serve with Seasoned Black Beans

Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue 123
-----------------------------------------

SEASONED BLACK BEANS

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
2 15 oz. cans black beans
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile or jalapeño, thinly sliced
2 tsp. minced lime zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
salt to taste

1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium.  Add garlic; cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add beans, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until heated through and liquid is reduced and thickened, 5 minutes.

2. Stir in cilantro, serrano, zest, and lime juice; season beans with salt.

Servings: 4
Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue #123
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17 Mare749 Hi everyone.  I'm po...
Sounds up my alley, Maryann
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I think William would be on board for this one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Sounds great Maryann.
Yay! Can we get a few more to join in? Trixxee, where are you???
Maryann

Here!!!  

Sounds great.  Count me in.
Great! Big Grin

Does anyone have a cocktail idea for this? We usually drink beer with this type of food.
Maryann

Hmmm, I guess I'm dragging my feet a little on this one because it's what I make so often and one of our favorites. But, I will get my butt in gear and try this version!! Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm doing my review tonight as I will be busy with Katie's graduation party tomorrow. The one and only photo I took was awful, so I'm not even going to post it. Instead, I am counting on Blane to post his because I saw it on FB last week and it was really pretty.

So, for our review, we both thought this was a tasty summer dish and would probably have it again, but maybe with a few additions. Prepared exactly to recipe for the first day, it was pretty good and we both gave it an 8. But...using the l/o chicken in a taco salad the next day with a few extras, and it went to a 10. The seasoning really came through on the second day. And, with the addition of some good salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese over iceberg lettuce in a tortilla shell, it was spectacular. We couldn't stop picking at the chicken, so should have made more.

The black bean side dish was an epic fail. I don't know why, but we just didn't like the flavors. Too much lime, for one thing, and I like lime. So, wouldn't make that recipe again.
Maryann

I apologize I didn't get 'the butt in gear' to join in on this B'day dinner, but that taco salad morphing is really calling my name.
www.achefsjourney.com
Birthday dinner---reviews due 5/29/17