Question    
How do you measure sweetened condensed milk?  I want to make a Key Lime Pie and the recipe calls for 3 cups.  Do I measure in cup versus a liquid measure?  Never had this problem before. Huh

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk? BarbaraS How do you measure s...
Since I don't pay attention to how to measure stuff for cooking, I'm no help here.  Sorry, Barbara!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
How big are your cans? Depending on brand they can be anywhere from 12 oz. to 16 oz. If they are 12 use 2. Most are 14 oz now. I use this for sticky liquids such as condensed milk, jam, honey, etc. adjust a cup . I have 3 sizes, but use the 2 cup the most. 

If you are using Eagle full fat condensed  1 cup weighs 312 g. for example. So you can weigh it. One more reason to have a good kitchen scale.

PS, 3 cups of condensed milk is a lot of sweetness. What are you making?
Daphne, If you don't measure when baking you can get very unexpected results, not usually good.
Exactly, Alina!  Thus the reason I don't bake much!  Lol!  

But I do use a dry measure for dry, and liquid for liquid, but for liquid, I'll use a dry measure in a pinch.  Never the other way around.  Oh, and I weigh for bread.

But again, since I don't bake much, I'm hesitant to post for baking technique.
Daphne
I also go by the oz. in the can to decide how much. Haven't made a Key Lime pie forever! Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I used the Eagle brand 14 oz cans.  I googled and one site came up with 1 1/2 cups per 14 oz can.  So I used 2 cans to make a Key Lime pie.  Thanks!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
So how did the pie turn out?!?!
Daphne
yes, I'm still craving Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
So now I want Key Lime Pie. Of course, it won't be real as I have no access to real FL key limes. So I'm going to make the next best thing. I'm curious about Barbara's pie. I think it would be too sweet for me, so I'm going to do the recipe below. It is great. I have an abundance of lemon thins (both from TJ's and Costco so I'll use those instead of graham crackers.

Here's my recipe:
KEY LIME PIE*****

Prepare the filling first so it can thicken during the time it takes to prepare the crust. Can use NO-WEEP MERINGUE TOPPING instead of whipped cream.  Bake pie only 7 minutes, then apply meringue gently, first spreading a ring around the outer edge, then filling in the center. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes more.

Oven Temperature: 325°F

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 23 minutes
Cooking Time: 37 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 5 hours

LIME FILLING
4 tsp. grated lime zest
½ cup lime juice from 3 to 4 limes
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
5 oz. lemon crisp thins broken into chunks (will yield 1 cup crumbs)
2 TBS. granulated sugar
5 TBS. unsalted butter , melted
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup confectioners' sugar (1 oz.)
½ lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)

FOR THE FILLING:

Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken (about 30 minutes)

FOR THE CRUST:

Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325° degrees.

Melt butter in microwave in measuring cup, about 2 -4 minutes.

In a min food processor, process the lemon thins cookies until evenly fine. You should have 1 cup crumbs. Add the sugar and pulse to combine. Continue to pulse while adding the warm melted butter in a steady stream; pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.

Transfer the mixture into a 9" pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Use thumbs and bottom of ½ cup measuring cup to square off the top of the crust.  Bake until fragrant, and beginning to brown about 15-18 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely minimum of 20 minutes.

Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:

Up to 2 hours before serving. whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners’ sugar 1 TBS. at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.

Recipe Type: Baking Illustrated, Desserts, Lime, Pies

Source: Baking Illustrated page 208
How Do You Measure Sweetened Condensed Milk?