Holiday Goodies – Halloween thru New Years – 2016

Here’s a thread for new recipes we find to add to our holiday favorites – I’ll start it off celebrating Halloween (even tho it’s my least favorite holiday )

Took these two appetizers to a party and they are wonderful. Even tho they are separate dishes, topping a cracker/toast  and the terrine with the chutney just made a great bite!!

Gorgonzola and Walnut Terrine

10 plus leftovers
3/4 cup walnuts (3 ounces)
10 oz Gorgonzola, preferably dolce, softened
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 lb fresh goat cheese, softened
1/2 cup minced chives
Freshly ground pepper
Toasted pumpernickel or baguette slices, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 4-cup soufflé dish, loaf pan or terrine with plastic wrap, allowing 4 inches of overhang on 2 sides.

2. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and bake until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then finely chop.

3. In a food processor, puree the Gorgonzola with two-thirds of the cream cheese until smooth.

4. In a bowl, blend the goat cheese with the remaining one-third of the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of the chives; season with pepper.

5. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the walnuts in the bottom of the prepared dish. Spread half of the Gorgonzola mixture on top and sprinkle with half of the remaining walnuts and 2 tablespoons of the chives. Spread the goat cheese mixture on top, and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts and chives. Top with the remaining Gorgonzola mixture. Fold the plastic wrap over the top of the terrine and press lightly. Cover with more plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 2 days.

6. To unmold the terrine, unwrap it and lift it out by the plastic wrap, then turn it out onto a platter. Slice the terrine and let it return to room temperature before serving with toasts. Servings: 10

Tips - A bright, tangy sparkling wine from California will cut the richness of the cheese and walnuts.  Contributed By Danielle Custer, Food & Wine Magazine

Pear-Ginger Chutney

Made this to go along with Gorgonzola & Walnut Terrine - for Prater's Halloween Party - 10/31/16  Source: Issue No. 53 October 2005

SAUTE IN 1 T. OLIVE OIL:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cinnamon stick, halved
------
DEGLAZE WITH;ADD AND SIMMER:
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
11/4 cups Bosc pears, peeled, cored, diced (1 large pear)
----------
STIR IN:
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
Salt to taste

1. Sauté onion, ginger, fennel seed, pepper flakes, and cinnamon in oil in a saucepan over medium heat.

2. Cook until onion is soft, stirring often to prevent scorching.

3. Deglaze with vinegar and sugar. Simmer until sugar dissolves, then add pears. Cook until pears are soft and juices are evaporated, 15–20 minutes.

4. Stir in cherries and salt; serve room temperature or cold. (Chutney may be made up to  week ahead and chilled.)  MAKES 1 CUP 
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

New Holiday Recipes - 2016 cjs [size=medium][size=x...
What a pretty appetizer tray. This is a great idea to keep all our holiday goodies in one thread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Doesn't that look and sound yummy!  All the flavors I love!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Thanks Maryann and Daphne. The tray is one of two Roy made - they seem to be such a good size.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Is it a lazy Susan style?
Daphne
no, it's not.
www.achefsjourney.com
For a delicious idea for leftovers of the Gorgonzola-Goat Cheese terrine and Pear-Ginger Chutney, this pizza is wonderful!!

Gorgonzola Terrine & Pear-ginger chutney pizza
www.achefsjourney.com
Roy is so talented!  I really need to share some of his creations with Jason.  He seems to have a similar interest in that kind of work.  Actually, if you have pictures of Roy's work in a centralized location, and Roy is willing to share, I'd love to share some of them with Jason.  I'll start by hinting with my two Roy creations.  And I'll hint at the salt and pepper grinder ideas, too.
Daphne
Yes, we do have a 'catalog' of sorts with pictures of his work to show shops around town. I'll send you some examples, Daphne.
www.achefsjourney.com
This link came in a newsletter this  morning and what a boat load of appetizer ideas and I must have copied half of them.

Holiday-Worthy Finger Foods

Probably should not look at these when you're hungry!! Big Grin
www.achefsjourney.com
New Holiday Recipes - 2016