What's on the menu for everyone today??

Our Motley Crew is having a Paella party tonight and I'm taking this side dish -
PAELLA SIDE DISH - Shrimp with Mushrooms, Garlic & Wine Recipe -Gambas con Setas, Ajo y Vino Blanco

"Setas” or mushrooms are very popular in Spain. Many people drive or walk out to the countryside to pick them. This tapa is so quick and easy to prepare. Combine shrimp with garlic, white wine and mushrooms for a flavor that is quite delicious as a “tapa.” Serve with slices of baguette.

12-14 large mushrooms, such cremini or white mushrooms
3 large cloves of garlic
4-6 Tbsp. Spanish virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 lb shrimp (Size - 40 per pound)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

1. Place fresh mushrooms in a colander and place under running cold water to remove any dirt. Trim the stems. Slice.

2. Peel raw shrimp and remove tails. Rinse and allow to drain. Set aside.

3. Peel the garlic cloves and mince garlic.

4. Place large open frying pan over medium heat and pour in 4-6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add minced garlic. Before garlic browns, add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring to coat mushrooms with oil and mix with garlic.

5. Add white wine and stir. Continue to cook another 5 minutes or so. Mushrooms will shrink and darken. Add salt to taste.

6. Add shrimp and stir thoroughly. Shrimp will turn pink as they cook. Sprinkle hot pepper flakes into pan. Shrimp will take about 5 minutes to cook.

7. Remove from heat and serve immediately with a fresh baguette.

Yield: 4 Servings
Author: By Lisa & Tony Sierra - Spanish Food Expert _- aboutfood.com

-------------------

And, I'm so excited - our friend, Houseboat Don is coming tomorrow for a few days (minus the bulldogs, thank God!) and is stopping at Central mkt. on his way for a Mystery Bag(s) for us to cook. These visits are always so much fun and never know what they are going to sell him!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? cjs What's on the menu f...
A paella party...what fun! Your appetizer sounds delicious!! I'm looking forward to hearing what you and Houseboat Don come up with. I'm sure you'll have a great time creating.

Tonight we're having a sous vide tri tip with grilled asparagus and horseradish cream sauce. Easy and delicious!

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? karyn A paella party...wha...
Sounds like a fun party, Jean. Your tapa sounds perfect for a starter. Can't wait to hear what HD brings from the market for you to play with. What did he do with the doggies?

Nothing exciting for dinner tonight. We had BBQ chicken and a salad. Fruit pops for dessert for me, and a vanilla ice cream soda with cream soda for Ron.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? Mare749 Sounds like a fun pa...
Oh, I missed the part about HD joining the regular motley crew tonight! Love your appetizers!

Tonight is easy, all I have to do is boil water. Chicken Ramen Stir Fry is already cooked. Off to throw the noodles in the water and eat. LATE day today, so I'm glad I was prepared in a quick meal.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? Gourmet_Mom Oh, I missed the par...
'HD' won't get here until today and then we'll enjoy the leftovers!!

Another wonderful Paella party! And, this side dish is a perfect accompaniment for it.
There was a note on the recipe that suggested leftovers make a great pizza…so, since I was able to put back a little bit of the mushrooms/shrimp, we’ll have that for a later dinner when he gets here.

Paella
[Image: Aug%2010%20Paella%20cooking_zpsmyul3jw0.jpg]

Dish of mushroom & shrimp
[Image: Aug%2010%20Paella%20Side%20dish%20Shroom...z7yrzz.jpg]

Appetizer
[Image: Aug%2010%20Paella%20Side%20Dish%20appeti...d1sccy.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? cjs 'HD' won't get here ...
Jean, could you tell me step by step, exactly how you cook your mushrooms? Mine never seem to look quite so appetizing. Maybe I overcook them?
Maryann

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? Mare749 Jean, could you tell...
I don't know, Maryann, all I can say is I did follow the above method exactly (time wise) and since my burners seem to be so high temp, I tend to keep the flame fairly low. I don't think that helps at all.

Maybe if you removed them from the heat at the point they are tender and you like the 'looks' of them?? Knowing the time for the next time, you can tell when to add any other ingredients called for??

For a dish which does not have that many flavors, everyone loved the taste.....confusing, but the earthy and briny just do it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? cjs 'HD' won't get here ...
Jean, the shrimp & mushrooms look amazing. You are going to have so much fun with Houseboat Don!

Last night's dinner was bacon wrapped filets, Queen of Sheba salad with all home grown tomatoes, and corn on the cob. We started with champagne to celebrate Berta and Mike returning to Sage Hills! The owner's wife joined us for dinner and the five of us had a great evening - celebrating the fact that the former GM is "down the road". Jeff will be in charge of the grounds crew, Berta will be in charge of the restaurant & bar (and we are going to collaborate on the menu and special events) and I will be in charge of the Pro Shop/RV park.

For a while it's going to mean some longer hours for all of us until we get some more work campers in.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? Harborwitch Jean, the shrimp & m...
But, the work environment will more than make up for the longer hours, that's for sure!!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16?? cjs But, the work enviro...
Sharon, that's great news. I'm so happy for all of you! Enjoy your last little while at the RV park before you pack up and head south.

Thanks, Jean, for some direction on cooking the mushrooms. I usually cook them in butter and that might be the reason they don't look as nice. The salt in the butter might be why they get watery. Your recipe instructions said to salt at the end.
Maryann

Wednesday's Dinner, 8/10/16??