As the great white north is finally defrosted, we will soon be sitting out on the deck with drinks and snacks before dinner. Pretzels, peanuts or dip & chips seem boringish. Would you all give me some ideas and recipes for tasty treats to go with cocktails please.
Thanks, Cynthia

Suggestions Please farnfam As the great white n...
Here's one that Jean made for us last Christmas. It's simple and very tasty.....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bacon Crisps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound sliced bacon -- cut in half
1 sleeve Waverly Wafers or other buttery rectangular crackers

These can be frozen after they're cooked. Place the frozen crisps on a baking sheet and reheat them for 5 minutes in a 350°F oven.

Preheat the oven to 250F.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each cracker
and wrap tightly with a strip of bacon (no toothpick required!). Place the wrapped crackers on a broiler rack on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet on the oven rack; bake for 2 hours, or until the bacon is done. 1) Do not turn. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature.

NOTE: We were a little impatient during our testing and baked these at 350°F for about 40 minutes, with good results.

Description:
"Paula Deen"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Suggestions Please farnfam As the great white n...
I would do a light shrimp dip--BORING!!!--but nice on light, crisp crackers. Depends on what you are serving for dinner!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Suggestions Please Roxanne 21 I would do a light s...
I love the warm weather and eating outside. I do a lot of variations on bruschetta. The baguettes can be cut and toasted early in the day. Using leftover meat ( I did a duck one lately) is a great way of using up tidbits. I try to stock the freezer with lots of small phyllo apps, some vegetarian, others with meat. I also like to set out an assortment of different olives, baby mozzarella, prosciutto, etc. Easy to do, and can be quiet light if we don't fill up on it. Asian chicken in lettuce leaves. Pollpetini. Can you tell I like appetizers?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Suggestions Please Roxanne 21 I would do a light s...
Billy, sounds wonderful, will try soon, maybe tonite. I bet you have more??
Shrimp dip doesn't sound boring to me Roxanne, how do you make it?
C'mon folks, I need MORE, please
Cynthia

Re: Suggestions Please farnfam Billy, sounds wonder...
My sister-in-law makes these bacon-wrapped water chestnut things and I love them.

Bacon Water Chestnuts

Recipe Rating:
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 40 min
Makes: 12 servings, 2 pieces each

1 pkg. (2.1 oz.) OSCAR MAYER Ready to Serve Bacon, cut crosswise in half
1 can (8 oz.) whole water chestnuts, drained
1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chili sauce

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Wrap bacon around water chestnuts; secure with toothpicks. Place in shallow baking dish.
MIX remaining ingredients; pour over water chestnuts.
BAKE 30 minutes or until heated through.

I make these mushroom croustades too but they take longer to make....I'm thinking you want something pretty quick, right?
Tammy

Re: Suggestions Please TwilightKitten My sister-in-law mak...
Here's one I really like:

Caramelized Onion Walnut Bruschetta

From BH&G Simply Perfect Grilling

1 large onion, halved length wise, and thinly sliced
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walmuts
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Dijon
16 1/4 inch thick slices baguette
1/4 cup shredded parmesan or Romano cheese

For topping, in a large skillet, cook sliced onion in hot oil about 4 minutes until tender. Add walnuts amd sugar. Cook and stir for 5 to 8 minutes, until onion is slightly caramelized and walnuts are toasted. Stir in mustard.

Divide the opnion topping among the bread slices. Sprinkle with cheese.

Place bread slices, onion side up, on the grill rack directly over medium high heat, grill for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or just until bottoms are toasted, and slices are heated through. Watch carefully to avoid over browning. Makes 6 appetizer servings.

I used Asiago, and they were great. Didn't feed 8 of us, though.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Suggestions Please Lorraine Here's one I really ...
Perhaps a pickle bowl. Or plate. Pickled onion, tiny sweet gerkins, b&b pickles, Mixed veg pickles, fresh pineapple if you can get it, cubed, some cheeses, cubed. Devils on Horseback, dates with cream cheese stuffing. Sardines mashed with finely cut onion. Crudites. Pickle bowls are so pretty set out. So are crudites. I do them in a cut pie formation usually, depending on the size of the platter. Can't do a metre long oval the same as a snuggly little plate for two.
  Re: Suggestions Please TwilightKitten My sister-in-law mak...
Tammy,
We LOVE mushrooms, I could alway fix a bit in advance if they take time. Please post recipe
BTW Everyone, these all sound fabulous, oink oink. Maybe we'll just skip dinner sometimes. Oh no that won't work, too much fun cooking it. We'll just stuff it all in.
Cynthia
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Suggestions Please farnfam Tammy,[br] We LOVE m...
It would be my pleasure. The croustades are a huge hit at our family functions. I always have to double the recipe...hmmm, maybe that's why they take so long to make!

Mushroom Croustades
Prep Time: 40 min.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens

File Under:
Printed from BHG.com

Ingredients

24 slices firm-textured white bread
3 tablespoons chopped shallots or onion
1/4 cup margarine or butter
3 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Dash ground black pepper
Dairy sour cream (optional)
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Directions:

1. Lightly grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. Cut a 2-1/2-inch round from each slice of bread.* Carefully press each bread round into one of the prepared muffin cups to form a shell. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium saucepan cook shallots or onion in hot margarine or butter for 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add whipping cream all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; remove from heat. Stir in the 2 tablespoons chives, the parsley, lemon juice, salt, ground red pepper, cheese, and black pepper.
3. Remove bread shells from muffin cups. Place bread shells in a shallow baking pan. Spoon filling into shells. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. If desired, top with sour cream and additional chives.
Makes 24 appetizers.
*Note: You can use the bread scraps to make soft bread crumbs for casserole toppings or meat stuffings.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the baked bread shells as directed. Place in a freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw bread shells. Fill and bake as directed.

Nutritional facts per serving

calories: 93 , total fat: 6g , saturated fat: 3g , cholesterol: 14mg , sodium: 126mg , carbohydrate: 8g , fiber: 0g , protein: 2g , vitamin A: 8% , vitamin C: 1% , calcium: 2% , iron: 4%

Leftover filling, if there is any can be thinned with milk or cream to make a yummy soup. My brother crushes Ritz crackers in it and says it’s awesome. It’s also good served with chunks of bread, like a fondue. Heck, it’s good no matter how you eat it!
Tammy
Suggestions Please