I know Blane makes this a lot, so I'll be interested in his input here, but a lot of you have an understanding of the beer batter, so please weigh in.

I'm considering making the Chinese Almond Chicken this week, finally. That is if can get some good premade gravy! LOL.

My question is about the batter. The C@H recipe for the batter called for a lager beer. I'm also making the Guinness Pot Roast this week. Can I sub a stout for a lager? Because I may have to buy a whole six pack of either to make the dishes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Question about Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe Gourmet_Mom I know Blane makes t...
I would not use a stout for my batter - personal choice, but because it is heavier and so 'malty' don't think I would like it. Anxious to hear beer-drinker's thoughts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Question about Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe cjs I would not use a st...
Daphne, McCormick has a beer batter mix called 'Golden Dipt', you can use either beer or water. I've done both and didn't notice a big difference.

Re: Question about Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe losblanos1 Daphne, McCormick ha...
And then there is this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

JEAN'S BEER BATTER FOR ONIONS & FISH &EVERYTHING - My favorite *****

5 ounces flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1 Pinch cayenne
1 egg
1 cup beer
flour -- as needed for dredging
2 pounds onions – OR WHATEVER

1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the beer to the beaten egg.
3. Add the egg-and-beer mixture to the dry ingredients; mix until smooth.
4. Peel the onions and cut in 1/2-inch (2-centimeter) thick slices.
5. Break the slices into rings and dredge in flour.
6. Dip the rings in the batter a few at a time. Using the swimming method, deep-fry at 350ºF until done. Drain on absorbent paper, season with additional salt and white pepper and serve hot.

-----

I prefer to fry my fish at 350 F. and remove as soon as they hit 140F. man, these were tasty little devils.

Description:
"Used this batter recipe for the cod and halibut we deep fried last Wednesday night and it is such a tasty and light batter that it will probably be my go to for a while. I did add a little sugar and cayenne to it and we all liked the addition."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fried clams, mussels, onions with this batter - you can see it is a light one.
[Image: fried%20mussels%20clams%20onions_zpskwkgezqu.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Question about Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe cjs And then there is th...
Thanks, Blane and Jean. I'm pretty sure I may can get the lager in singles at the gas station, at least. The McCormicks, I'm not so sure about. If not, I'll have Jean's as back up.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Question about Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe