Neither of my parents likes turnips. Thus, as a child, I never had to face the battle of "eat your turnips," since my mom never prepared them (especially since she remembers the way HER mother used to sneak mashed turnips into the mashed potatoes).

About a month ago, my landlord invited me over to each lunch with his family and what he served contained - among other things - turnips and I thought they were delicious. After that, though, every time I looked for turnips in the supermarket, they were out of them

Until today.

Today, they finally had some and I bought some, but now I'm wondering about good ways to use them without just making them an afterthought add-in to soups, New-England Boiled Dinners or mashed potatoes.

I've already seen Daphne's gratin (from the Pioneer Woman) and would love to give that I try sometime when I can afford Gruyère.

In the same thread, I've also seen Roxanne's Whipped Turnip Puff recipe and MUST try that.

How ELSE do you guys like to prepare turnips so that they really become the star of the dish and not just an addendum?

P.S.: If you do have some recipes to share, please consider posting them in the "CAH Forum" group over at GroupRecipes. Once you post a recipe and add it to our group, then Jean or I will approve it so it will actually show up in the group's recipe list. GR is a really neat free resource and I'd love to see us use it more.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Your favourite turnip recipes? labradors Neither of my parent...
Sorry Labs, I only ever use them in a stew, cubed up like potatoes. I think I may have done a mash one time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? Mare749 Sorry Labs, I only e...
I love to work with turnips and I've made lots of 'root, veggie soups! I'm on my ipad now, so will post some of my dishes tomorrow.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? cjs I love to work with ...
@Maryann: When you do use them in stews (or other such things where they are with potatoes), is their cooking time about the same as potatoes - so you would add them at about the same time, or do they need to go in earlier or later than the potatoes?

@Jean: Looking forward to it. Thanks.
  Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? cjs I love to work with ...
I don't know that I've ever had turnip. My dad eats everything except two foods, kidneys and turnips. So I've never had them and ignore recipes that use them. I've never thought of adding them to mashed potatoes. However I love mashed potatoes with parsnips added.
  Your favourite turnip recipes? labradors Neither of my parent...
I love turnips and haven't found any way I don't like them (except maybe with kidneys . . . . ) I use them in soups, stews, roasted with other root veggies.

In North Dakota they were one of the few fresh veggies in the winter.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? Harborwitch I love turnips and h...
Decided to poke around on GroupRecipes and here are a few I found that are different and that use turnips in less-expected ways:

Turnip and Bacon Frittata

Turnip Hash Browns

Turnip and Sausage Breakfast Casserole

Turnip-Raisin Spice Cake

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? labradors Decided to poke arou...
I do not like full grown turnips. I adore baby turnips and just sauté them in a bit of olive oil and butter.

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? DFen911 I do not like full g...
Where is the dividing line, Denise? What the store had were all pretty big, so they probably are NOT baby turnips, but I'd like to know the difference in case I ever see some smaller than these.

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? labradors Where is the dividin...
Baby turnips are about an inch in diameter. I've had them sauteed with baby carrots and onions in a restaurant and if I can get them I do them at home. They are as sweet as sugar when they are tiny.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Your favourite turnip recipes?