Guess it's time to start thinking about this one, huh??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

What's on for Easter Dinner?? cjs Guess it's time to s...
So far, I know that I will be making Easter bread and "bunny cake" but not sure what else just yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? Mare749 So far, I know that ...
We've been invited to my friend Jane's house for an egg hunt and lunch. She normally does a full turkey dinner and a honey baked ham. I usually bring a beautiful three berry salad.

She was kind enough to invite my sister's family and my mom. The egg hunt is fun - I help her stuff plastic eggs with candy and money. Year before last I think my little nephew Vinnie came home with $70.

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? Trixxee We've been invited t...
I usually do a ham, potato salad, green bean casserole (DD favorite, but thinking of subbing a bean salad this year, DH favorite) and deviled eggs. My crowd is easy and predictable. Like Thanksgiving, they don't like this meal tampered with. I may do two hams this year. Last year there was a lot of complaining about how small the leftovers portions were to take home, and OS wanted my bone! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? Gourmet_Mom I usually do a ham, ...
Well, I've got half of a 2-bone Rib Roast that I'll do. With smashie potatoes and maybe a repeat of the Turnip Gratin. I'm going to make it this weekend for the Hubby!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? BarbaraS Well, I've got half ...
I have never done an Easter Dinner before that I can remember. I think we have always been invited or obligated to go somewhere else. This year our plans are free!

So I plan to make a traditional Ham dinner after church. Not sure what my sids will be yet. Maybe I will get some inspiration from you all, right here!

Looking forward to spending some quality time with the hubby and kids.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? luvnit I have never done an...
Laura, since you are starting your own family's traditions, you might want to think about adding Pink Salad to your dinner. It's an old family holiday tradition in our house. It goes so well with a ham dinner!

It is also on page 37 of Chef's Journey...Home.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PINK SALAD

1 large can fruit cocktail -- well drained, reserving syrup
1 package strawberry Jello -- (3 ounce)
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) room temperature
1/3 cup salad dressing
20 maraschino cherries -- quartered
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 pint whipping cream -- whipped

Preparation:

Line 1 large loaf pan or two small ones with foil, leaving 1 1/2-inch overhang on all sides.

Drain fruit cocktail thoroughly, reserving syrup, measure syrup and add water to make one cup. Bring liquid to boil, add to gelatin, stirring until dissolved.

Chill mixture until slightly thickened and syrupy. Beat cream cheese until fluffy, add salad dressing and gelatin, and beat until smooth and free of lumps.

Fold in fruit, marshmallows and whipped cream. Spoon into prepared pan. Freeze. Lift frozen salad out of pan and peel off foil.

Source: Chef2Chef Forum Member, Chef Jean Denham, CC

Description:
"This salad is pretty served with greens and sliced crabapples around it. Holidays were not complete for the family without Pink Salad."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Image: pinksalad.jpg]

Looking thru old photobucket pictures for the pink salad - found this one and I may do this for Easter - Prime Rib the way I used to make it at the hotel. So yummy, crispy, rare goodness!!!
[Image: StandingRib.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? cjs Laura, since you are...
Quote:

PINK SALAD

1 large can fruit cocktail -- well drained, reserving syrup
1 package strawberry Jello -- (3 ounce)
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) room temperature
1/3 cup salad dressing
20 maraschino cherries -- quartered
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 pint whipping cream -- whipped

Whew! Looks like you may have missed one ingredient:

1 vial Insulin

LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: What's on for Easter Dinner?? Trixxee We've been invited t...
Quote:

Vinnie came home with $70

Any chance of me getting an invite? Easter is our 2nd busiest brunch of the year, I'll probably come home and fall asleep on the couch.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  What's on for Easter Dinner?? cjs Guess it's time to s...
Bob and I went to the Chiropractor today - they gave each of us a $15 off coupon for a ham at a local grocery. We've got a HUGE ham down in the walk in. I'll make a Red White & Blue potato salad, peas in a dill sauce (?maybe), custard rich rolls, hopefully asparagus or brussels sprouts. I have to work, but I'll cook and serve down there to Chad, Jeff, Clark, Bill, & Bob. Whew! I should do a dessert - but ????

Instead of dessert I think we'll just have to have a couple bottles of Latah Creek Huckleberry D'Latah wine, a bit of sparkle and just delightful. This is one that is on the Washinton Wine sale list.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
What's on for Easter Dinner??