Hola amigos! We are back and had a great trip. I posted the pix of the lesson at The Little Mexican Cooking School here on FB
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...mp;l=7f2cb06573
I hope you all can see it. Still a little busy with "re-entry" stuff but we did get a cookbook of everything we cooked so I can post if you're interested
Cis
Empress for Life

The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson farnfam Hola amigos! We are...
"so I can post if you're interested" - are you kidding???? You had a great time, huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson cjs "so I can post if yo...
We did, Jean! And learned so much. We made a cream of Pablano Soup that was so good. Learned that sopes make a great and quick appy. Did about eight different kinds of salsa. Made pepitas and salsa with pumpkins seeds.
They start you out with a scones and coffee with a good dollop of Rum/leche. We got a lesson on all kinds of Tequila including samples of each kind. Lots of history of the cuisine of Isla Mujeres. And for dessert a Khalua Tart. omg
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson farnfam We did, Jean! And le...
"We got a lesson on all kinds of Tequila including samples of each kind." - this is what I would have loved. My one regret - but it's not too late still, I guess - is that I didn't go to bartender's school right after culinary school.

Am I wrong in thinking pepitas are pumpkin seeds????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson cjs "We got a lesson on ...
Pepitas are roasted pumpkin seeds, seasoned with salt and lime and sometimes cayenne. We ground them up in the Molcajete and made a base for a habenero salsa, it wasn't my favorite but good to learn anyway.
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson farnfam Pepitas are roasted ...
Here is an index of the recipes we learned:
How to make Jamica, dry herbs in Microwave for freezing, Drying chilis in the oven, Khalua Torte, Cream of Pablano Soup, Tortilla and Sope making, Guacamole (no lime method), Salsa Asada (my favorite) Salsa Mexican, Salsa Frita, Tamal de Frijol, Ensalada de Jicama Naranja y Aguacate, Roasted Chicken in Chipolte-Piloncillo-Tomatillo Salsa. Anything catch your eye?
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson farnfam Here is an index of ...
Yes, for me - Salsa Asada, Salsa Frita would be nice to see. Thanks cis.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson cjs Yes, for me - Salsa ...
I'd love to see the recipe for the Cream of Poblano Soup, in case I ever DO get some poblanos here.

Also, that chicken with the Chipotle-Piloncillo-Tomatillo Salsa sounds heavenly! Perfect for my tastes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson labradors I'd love to see the ...
Salsa Asada:
2 serranos chiles charred on comel
4 garlic cloves charred
250 grm roma tomatoes char on comel and peel
salt

In a molcajete mash the serranos, carlic cloves and 1t salt until you have a smooth paste. Add the tomatoes one at a time and mash well, get a smooth texture before each addition. Tastes and adjust salt if ness before serving

Salsa Frita
1/4 Cup veg or avacado oil
30 gr garlic cloves peeled
10 gr dry chile arbol
250 gr roma tomatos
salt
In a large skillet over med heat, add oil and cook cgarlic for 5 min, move constantly to avoid burning. Add the chiles and continue to cook til dark brown but not burnt (bitter chiles taste bitter)
In a blender place the roma tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, blend until semi smooth Adjust salt and serve
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson farnfam Salsa Asada:[br]2 se...
Roasted chicken in Chipotle-Piloncillo-Tomatillo Salsa

4 chicken legs and thighs together
1tsp salt
1/4 tsp grnd blk pepper
3 Tbsp Avacado oil
1 white onion sliced thin
2 Tbs garlic chpped
1/4 Cup shreded piloncillo or drk brwn sug
1k (@27) Tomatillos husked and cut in chunks
1 large chippotle pepper in adobo sauce
2 C chicken broth

Season the chicken with salt and peppr
Heat the oil in a deep heavy skillt over med-high heat until oil shimmers. Add the chicken skin side down, brown for 5-6 min
per side and transfer to large bowl

Reduce heat to med and add onion cook for 4-5 mintil soft. Add garlic cook for 1 minute. Add tomatillos, cook for about 6 min turn as needed til softened. Add the piloncillo, chipotle and their sauce stir well. Once the liquid starts to bubbl3 cook for 35 min, stir and turn chicken make sure it's coated and cooked through. Taste and adjust salt.
Place chicken pieces in a baking tray in oven at 325 for 10 to 15 min until cooked. Plate with tomatillo sauce and srv
Cis
Empress for Life
The Little Mexican Cooking Lesson