I made just half the recipe and got three dinners out of it with 2 meatballs per person. Perfect size dinner.

Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - [Email]C@H[/Email] - Perfect Pasta Book

For the meatballs:
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup Parmesan -- grated
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 eggs -- beaten
2 T. dried oregano leaves
1 T. garlic -- minced
2 tsp. dried basil leaves
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Add: 2 lbs. ground sirloin

For the Marinara:
3 lbs. fresh cherry or Roma tomatoes -- chopped
1 cup onion -- chopped
4 garlic cloves -- smashed
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. black pepper
2 T. chopped fresh basil

Cook:
1 lb. dry spaghetti

Serve over -- Garnish with:
Cooked spaghetti
Grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425F. Mix all ingred. (except sirloin) for the meatballs together in a large bowl. Add the ground sirloin and combine thoroughly; set aside.

Combine all ingredients (except the basil) for the marinara in an 11X15" baking dish. Shape meat mixture into balls the size of gold ball (about 2 oz. each). Arrange on tomatoes and roast 40-45 minutes.

Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta while the meatballs roast. Remove meatballs from the baking dish and keep warm. Process tomatoes in batches in a food processor or blender, then stir in basil; keep warm.

Cook the pasta. Serve sauce and meatballs over spaghetti. Garnish with Parmesan.

(had to improvise, no large baking dishes in trailer )
[Image: CIMG0299.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison cjs I made just half the...
Ok I have to ask, why roast the meatballs on the tomatoes? Why not roast separately so you don't have the grease from the meat being blended into the sauce? I know top sirloin is lean, but my meatballs I always have to cook on a rack or in muffin cups so I can easily drain.

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison DFen911 Ok I have to ask, wh...
Because, that's where all the flavor is - in the fat!! Using lean burger certainly helps. But, once in a while, why not go for flavor??? It just flavors the veggies so nicely.

Not a method for everyone....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison cjs Because, that's wher...
I must not be trimming my meat as well as I should because I get a LOT of grease.

Man I bet this smells so good while it's cooking too!

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison DFen911 I must not be trimmi...
Thanks, Jean! That's what I like about the meatballs roasting over the veggies! While I agree that you shouldn't eat too much too often, fat is yummy!
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison cjs Because, that's wher...
Well Jean, for real I have cooked meatballs with lean mean and there is little fat. Hardly any that you can 'pour' off anything. This looks really great and we will try it tomorrow!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison luvnit Well Jean, for real ...
Quote:

Well Jean, for real I have cooked meatballs with lean mean and there is little fat. Hardly any that you can 'pour' off anything. This looks really great and we will try it tomorrow!

Yes, I have to agree. I use very lean meat and it's not a problem. Very little grease. And, in that amount of vegetables, most of us would want a little bit of oil anyway. It's just that olive oil would be considered healthier.

So, like Jean said, it's not for everyone, but it sure does sound good. I'm going to try it with venison as that is nice and lean. Sure wish we could get decent tomatoes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison Mare749 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
"Sure wish we could get decent tomatoes." You know, Maryann, I thought the same thing when I looked closer, thinking Jean is fortunate to be able to get pretty tomatoes. I'm thinking I may wait on this one until the good ones come in.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison Gourmet_Mom "Sure wish we could ...
Quote:

"Sure wish we could get decent tomatoes." You know, Maryann, I thought the same thing when I looked closer, thinking Jean is fortunate to be able to get pretty tomatoes. I'm thinking I may wait on this one until the good ones come in.

How about cutting back on the cherry tomatoes by 1/3 and then adding a 14 oz can of good tomatoes after the roasting--then puree' all of the vegis together. Canned tomatoes have a good flavor.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Actually, I didn't notice the cherry tomato part. I should be able to get some decent cherry tomatoes. I may try that.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison