I think I already told how we woke up to the deck covered in snow at 3 AM Sunday. After trying to get back to sleep and failing, we decided to leave and took off at 4:15. Note in some of the first few pictures, the snow is so deep in the road, the front end of my little car was pushing the snow. The scariest times were when 18 wheelers would pass us, throwing snow and slush so that we couldn't see. The mini handled so well, that at times when some four wheel drive vehicles came up behind us, but were too chicken to pass in the lane that hadn't been plowed, William pulled into the uncleared lane to let them pass. Granted we had to slow down to about 35-45 miles an hour, but my baby handled it just fine! The picture of William shoveling snow off the deck near the end is Monday after more snowfall. The railing behind him was cleared off the day before.

The Wild Ride!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! Gourmet_Mom I think I already to...
How cool! The snow looks so pretty. Ours is melting here, I guess you all are getting it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! luvnit How cool! The snow l...
Great pictures, Daphne, the highway looks in places like 80 when it's closed and only locals can get thru.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! cjs Great pictures, Daph...
Glad you got there safely, Daphne. Great pics!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! Mare749 Glad you got there s...
Daphne,

I had one hair-raising experiences with the Hubby just after we were married and he wanted to make the drive to his folks for Thanksgiving in Long Island from Philly in my '84 Capri - Mustang corporate twin - because his 4-wheel drive GMC truck "wasn't up to it" and needed maintainence he had neglected.

Talk about 4 hours of white knuckles on the NJ Turnpike, Outerbridge Crossing, Verrazano Bridge, and the Southern Parkway!! We got there, but not without spinning out a few times and telling the Hubby, "If you stop, I'm getting out of this car and not getting back in, you &*^*@$#" #*%^$@@! a few times more!! It was totally stupid on his part and I nearly accepted a cocktail when we got there at 11 AM from his sis.

I'm so glad you got there safely. Really, truly, I kinda know what you went through. It's a white knuckle thing you never forget.

Hubby learned two lessons that day.
1) You don't drive a Mustang/Capri in the snow - or even in the rain sometimes.
2) You keep that G-D truck in good condition or...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! BarbaraS Daphne,[br][br]I had...
Daphne, I just hate driving (or being driven) in bad weather. I think that I just might have stayed home! You are brave. Three cheers for the Mini!

Barbara, I took over the job of remembering to get the cars winter-ready because for too many years we were dealing with bad windshield wipers, low fluid in the windshield washer, etc. during the first part of the winter and it drove me batty! Hate those white-knuckle drives... and I would have gladly accepted an 11am cocktail after the kind of experience that you had.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! foodfiend Daphne, I just hate ...
"I nearly accepted a cocktail when we got there at 11 AM from his sis." Are you kidding me? I DID pour a glass of wine as soon as I got there (a little after 11 AM, on a Sunday, no less!)...and kept pouring. Good thing there was no real cooking necessary that night. I hadn't eaten all day, so I'm not really sure what kind of impression I made on YS's neighbors...LOL!

You can't really tell in the pictures, but there were times we could barely see...the snow was coming down that bad. We could just make out the edge of the road....Thank God for those ridges they have in the edges of the highways now. That's how we could tell we were moving OFF the pavement in areas that hadn't been plowed at all!

I can laugh about this now....I'm glad William wouldn't let me turn on the interior light to check the owners manual. When we were in the worst of the driving, this indicator light kept coming on. I told William it was to let us know the stabilizer thingy was working, but I wasn't convinced. When it got daylight, I checked it out...NOPE! The light was to let us know it was malfunctioning!!!!! I'm glad I didn't know until after the fact. I would have REALLY been freaking out!
Daphne

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! Gourmet_Mom "I nearly accepted a...
That is hilarious!!! Have you told him the truth yet?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! Gourmet_Mom "I nearly accepted a...
Daphne,

I drive a WS06 Trans Am, fully loaded with Traction control and Hurst linkage. With the Traction control in that car I have yet to go sideways in bad weather conditions. I won't drive in over 4" of fresh snow, and always review leftover packed snow of streets I have to drive to get to work.

The "Trac Low" dash light comes on when there is bad traction and the wonderful traction control system takes over and automatically brakes the car on the high traction side to keep me straight. Could this have been what was happening instead of a malfunction? Was it letting you know the traction control is engaged and you're in the "situation"?

I swear, when I go home to my folks house I cannot believe the hills I traveled in Mustangs I used to drive all my life until I got the TA. Rule #1 with a Mustand is, don't ever stop in the littlest of snowfall, always continue forward, as slow as you can go and start out in second gear if you have to stop and start. Rule #2, Ask yourself, do you really, really, really have to "go there"?

And yeah, I should've accepted the offering of liquer, but didn't. I just went out in the backyard and screamed. A lot.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: VOT-A Hair Raising Ride! BarbaraS Daphne,[br][br]I dri...
If I read it correctly, it meant it was off. Luckily, I didn't know that until after we got out of the worst of the snowy roads.
Daphne
VOT-A Hair Raising Ride!