Whew, what a fun day we've had and it ain't over yet!! Spent a few hours walking around the Historic Market Square, picking up goodies that we certainly don’t need, but everything is so colorful, couldn’t resist. Lots of presents for next Christmas.

Stopped at the 24 hour restaurant, Mi Tierra & Bakery in the market – we had eaten there 8 years ago and the bakery is just fantastic and I try to buy new things. This time, I bought one of each to try:

Pumpkin Candy
Sweet Potato Candy – didn’t care for either one
Crème cheese campechanas – loved these
Limon rigalo – with a cinnamony/sugar coating – oh boy were these good.

Moved on for more walking and got to La Margarita Mexican Restaurant Oyster Bar for a seafood platter (a fried white fish, oysters and prawns) and Tequila sunrise & Bloody Mary. Finished that off with a huge soapapilla – YUM.

By then we were exhausted and headed back to the trailer for a glass of wine, put our feet up and read for a little while. Now we’re getting ready to go to Podna’s Catfish & Po’Boys - can you guess what I'm having??????

So, a little nightlife in San Antonio and then on to Fort Stockton and New year’s Eve.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

A Walk Around San Antonio cjs Whew, what a fun day...
Go by Central Market on your way to Ft. Stockton if you can--you won't regret it!! By the way we love our new disposal!! And--HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  A Walk Around San Antonio cjs Whew, what a fun day...
Okay, I looked up the campechanas and they do sound good. But I didn't get any hits for the Limon rigalo. What is it? I'm guessing another lemon flavored pastry? It sounds like you guys had a fun day!

Enjoy your catfish! I know it will be good! I need to put a bug in William's ear. It's been a while. BTW, have you made the catfish stew yet? Although, I think I want them fried this time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: A Walk Around San Antonio Gourmet_Mom Okay, I looked up th...
Yes, the Limon rigalo was a filled pastry - although they ('they' being the Mexican bakery) don't fill their pastries as full as U.S. bakeries do. I like it better, not as sweet.

Well, Daphne, for the first time on this trip, I had a catfish dinner that was not even rated a '2' - - pretty mediocre flavor and the beans and rice were just tepid (had to send back to be heated), the coleslaw tasted likd straight mayo dressed it and the hushpuppies were doughy. Probably my last catfish meal in the south and it sure as hell went south.

Back to cooking my own. No, I haven't made the stew yet. It's still on on the proverbial 'list.'

AND, Bill, we didn't remember Central mkt. until we were home talking about this stop in San Antonio and we're leaving 1st thing in this a.m., so unless we see a sign from the freeway, it'll be next trip. darn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: A Walk Around San Antonio cjs Yes, the Limon rigal...
Well, pooh! I hate for you to have a bad catfish experience in your memory of the South....think Southwest when you remember that meal!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: A Walk Around San Antonio Gourmet_Mom Well, pooh! I hate ...
I loved San Antonio. We were there about 18 years ago and it's the first (and probably last) time I've been so far south. Gorgeous. I could have walked the Riverwalk every day and evening, but we did other things like tour the Alamo site. You're lucky to have been there at this time of year, too, I'll bet it's all lit up and quite festive looking!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: A Walk Around San Antonio cjs Yes, the Limon rigal...
We have two great catfish places here, but we had Mexican food one nite out, the winery one nite, and if we were going out a 3rd it would have been for some great bar-b-Q ---sorry you had a bad nite-- we do have people that do catfish well.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: A Walk Around San Antonio Old Bay We have two great ca...
Oh, all the other stops for catfish have been wonderful, so it's not so bad. Also, I'm playing with our leftovers so we'll have a good dinner tonight. And, I cooked up some rice and added everything I could think of to it.
www.achefsjourney.com
A Walk Around San Antonio