Okay, I'm making the New York Cheesecake for Thursday. (It's easily transportable and make ahead.) I'd like to make a sauce for the cake. Now while I know the original supposedly came with a raspberry sauce, I thought I'd try a cranberry sauce...in the spirit of the holiday. (Plus, raspberries...frozen or fresh...are impossible to find.) Any ideas?

By the way, I offered to make Aunt Oleta's Chocolate pies. Mom said she preferred making them the day of and liked the idea of the Praline Cheesecake or the New York Cheesecake. (I think she would prefer the Praline Cheesecake, but I know my family would prefer the other. Plus, she makes the Praline ALL the time.)

What I'm getting at, is that I considered a chocolate drizzle with some Sour Cherries (the kind used in Bill & Jane's pie recipe) or strawberries (which would have to be frozen and thawed.) Both options didn't really appeal and would compete with the pies...which Mom has now decided she might just make...TOMORROW!

Cranberry Glaze idea Gourmet_Mom Okay, I'm making the...
Oh Daphne, now you've got me going. what about something like this?

Only start out with a can of jellied cranberries for smoothness? Or put thru a strainer/chinois - I bet the flavors would be wonderful with the cheese cake.

CRANBERRY-GLAZE

3 c. cranberries (or a can of jellied cranberries)
You might have to play with the amounts of the seasonings -
3/4 c. firmly packed golden brown sugar
1/3 c. water
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground ginger

Combine all ingredients in heavy non-aluminum saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until most of berries pop, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea cjs Oh Daphne, now you'v...
This sounds really good, Jean. I was thinking of going with something as simple as the base for the Ruby Sippers, which is basically a simple syrup. I guess I'll be playing tomorrow, after all...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea Gourmet_Mom This sounds really g...
Ooo!! Ooo!! Ooo!!

I'm making cheesecake right now and decided on the Raspberry Sauce that [Email]C@H[/Email] presented with the Chocolate Espresso Torte.

It's so easy and delish!

Simmer 5 minutes:

3 T sugar
1 14 oz pack of frozen Raspberries (no syrup)

Use a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. And put out fresh raspberries for garnish.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea BarbaraS Ooo!! Ooo!! Ooo!![br...
Quote:

Ooo!! Ooo!! Ooo!!

I'm making cheesecake right now and decided on the Raspberry Sauce that [Email]C@H[/Email] presented with the Chocolate Espresso Torte.

It's so easy and delish!

Simmer 5 minutes:

3 T sugar
1 14 oz pack of frozen Raspberries (no syrup)

Use a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. And put out fresh raspberries for garnish.

Barbara

Well - now you've got my attention!! Raspberries, cheesecake! Raspberry and chocolate cheesecake!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Cranberry Glaze idea Gourmet_Mom Okay, I'm making the...
Ooo!! Ooo!! Ooo!!

Here's an addendum to your glaze - soak some dried cranberries in a Tawny Port (maybe with a little extra sugar) to spread over the adults' slices.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea BarbaraS Ooo!! Ooo!! Ooo!![...
I can't get the raspberries, but I'm liking the tawny port and dried berries idea. I've got both....maybe for a garnish with a simple syrup? Everyone will be adults except Mom and one teen. I'll try a plan syrup and Jean's idea for comparison. I picked up a whole bag of berries to play with...and there's only 10 of us. I'll have samples for William and OS to sample tomorrow evening. They'll be my judges. So keep 'em comin'!

I have brandy, tawny port, sweet and dry vermouth, sherry and marsala to play with. I COULD make a quick trip to the ABC store in the morning, if need be, but I'd rather not. They don't have much to choose from anyway...maybe just some basics like Amaretto, Frangelica, etc.
Daphne

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea Gourmet_Mom I can't get the rasp...
or cook some of the cranberries in the tawny port for the liquid???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea cjs or cook some of the ...
Ina has a cranberry apple cake in her newest cookbook. I was looking at the fruit part and thought that the ingredients put through a blender would make a great sauce. You could always add some liqueur and reduce it as well and then cool it. Anyway, here it is in case you want the fruit part.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

EASY CRANBERRY APPLE CAKE

Servings: 8 Yield: 6-8 servings
Oven Temperature: 325°F

1 10" Pyrex Pie Plate
12 oz. fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
½ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 TBS. grated orange zest (2 oranges)
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/8; tsps. ground cinnamon, divided
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ lb. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Combine the cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the butter, vanilla, and sour cream and beat just until combined. On low speed, slowly add the flour and salt.

Pour the fruit mixture evenly into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Pour the batter over the fruit, covering it completely. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle it over the batter. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Preparation Time: 15 min. Cooking Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour and 15 min.

Author: Ina Garten
Source: How Easy Is That?
Web Page: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/...ecipe.html

Recipe Type: Apples, Cakes, Desserts, Fruits, Ina Garten, Orange

Re: Cranberry Glaze idea Cubangirl Ina has a cranberry ...
I'm liking the idea of orange zest...which I have. I think I'll start with a basic cranberry syrup with half of my cranberries and try samplings of different ideas. I'll let you know what I wind up with. Thanks for all the ideas, you guys! You're great, as usual!
Daphne
Cranberry Glaze idea