HEB grocery stores all over Texas are roasting Hatch chiles this weekend and next!! Check in your area and see if you can find them--they are really good and getting more popular-- they come mild and hot --look for them roasted, canned, or raw-the roasted freeze well--you won't regret it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Hatch Chile Weekends Old Bay HEB grocery stores a...
I'll second how good they are!! Bill & Jane bought us some when they visited - and oh my!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends cjs I'll second how good...
I bought a bag of them this week, didn't say if they were mild or hot. Thanks for the roasting tip.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends Lorraine I bought a bag of th...
Quote:

I bought a bag of them this week, didn't say if they were mild or hot. Thanks for the roasting tip.

I would roast 90% of them--believe me when they are roasting you can tell if they are mild or hot!! Try this after roasting--

HATCH CHILE DIP
4 cloves garlic
3 mild, 2 hot Hatch chiles, roasted, seeded & peeled
1/4 C mayo
8 oz cream cheeese, room temp.
salt & pepper to taste
2 avocado, diced
1 large lime, juiced
Process chiles and garlic until a paste-add all else and process until smooth--adjust seasonings-- if it's too hot add 2-4 oz cream cheese. Serve with tortilla strips or fritos. Delicious. Freeze the chiles left over, individually in plastic wrap. Will keep a year.

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
That dip sounds wonderful
*drool*

Wonder if the chilies will be shipped as far as MA? I'd like to try some interesting dips on vacation (eaten as we sit on the deck, watching the lobster boats in the harbor, sipping mojitos or daiquiris...)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends foodfiend That dip sounds wond...
Thanks, Bill. We are always looking for different dips to serve. It's on my to do list for today. At $.79/lb, I think we should go back and get more.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends Lorraine Thanks, Bill. We ar...
Hatch Chile Weekends sound wonderful. Wish we had them here. I bet it smells good.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Hatch Chile Weekends luvnit Hatch Chile Weekends...
Quote:

Hatch Chile Weekends sound wonderful. Wish we had them here. I bet it smells good.

The smell covers the entire parking lot!!! We got 2-3 lbs each of hot and mild roasted and another pound of each fresh. We froze all of the roasted.
  Re: Hatch Chile Weekends foodfiend That dip sounds wond...
That dip is amazing!! We enjoyed it down to the last lick of the bowl.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Hatch Chile Weekends Old Bay HEB grocery stores a...
We are down to one can of the chopped you sent. They are so wonderful - even canned. I don't imagine any of the stores here will have them so we'll miss them this year.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Hatch Chile Weekends