It's a beautiful day here on the prairie. Hope everyone has a great day celebrating our freedoms that includes good food!

We're going to a cookout with friends and she's doing brats. I'm up to my eyeballs in cabbage from our garden, so I'll make a couple of styles to go with the brats.

What is everyone else up to today?

Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July HomeCulinarian It's a beautiful day...
Going down to the lake for the day, so we'll pack up a cooler with hot dogs, potato salad, leftover veggie pizza, watermelon and brownies.

Happy Independence Day everyone!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July Mare749 Going down to the la...
Happy Fourth to ya'all!!

My ribs are marinating, potatoes are roasting for tato salad (a new recipe)

Champagne is chilling to have with our brunch of Jalapeno Pie (another one from July's cookbook choice)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July cjs Happy Fourth to ya'a...
Happy 4th!

No fireworks, etc. here, of course.

Jean, that pie sounds good. Would you post the recipe, please? Even without the recipe, it gives me an idea: make standard Chiles Rellenos but, instead of stuffing the roasted poblanos with the cheese then frying them in the batter, make a pie out of it by layering batter, roasted poblanos (sliced open), cheese and sauce, ending with a layer of batter, then bake the whole thing. Not sure how the inner layers of the batter would bake, though, but it sounds like an experiment worth trying.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July labradors Happy 4th![br][br]No...
I'm finally making the Chicken Legs Marinated in Yogurt and Spices from my June cookbook, I think. We've been invited to a hot dog/hamburger cookout next door....we'll see!

But I'm especially looking forward to the fireworks. Dale said he got TWICE the amount of fireworks this year. They were spectacular last year....lasted about an hour! I'll park my lounge chair on the end of our pier with camera in hand!

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July Gourmet_Mom I'm finally making t...
yes, I will post it, Labs - it was delicious!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July cjs yes, I will post it,...
Great! Thanks! Did you actually use the jalapeƱos, or did you substitute serranos? I'm always tempted to do that, but some things really are more suited for jalapeƱos.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July labradors Great! Thanks! Did...
Happy 4th everyone!

We just left Fort Bridger, Wyoming. They were getting ready for all their festivities. We did a short tour of the historical site - but didn't want to get stuck there for the day.

We are just going to drive until we feel like pulling over - aiming for Lusk Wyoming, but not sure how far we'll get. Hopefully there'll be a fireworks show wherever we land.

Tonight is fish tacos with a grapefruit chipotle slaw unless we have access to a grill. If there's a grill it'll be cheeseburgers and ?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July labradors Happy 4th![br][br]No...
HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!

My ribs are rubbed, mango puree is chilling for mango sorbet. My mom and friend are coming, and in-laws are coming for dinner. Ribs, deviled eggs, company potatos, baked beans and mango sorbet and cookies for dessert!

Hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July HomeCulinarian It's a beautiful day...
I hope everyone is having a wonderful 4th! No plans here but may head to the beach tonight for the fireworks. No cooking planned, which is unusual for me but it's nice to take a breather every now and then. I have to work tomorrow so I didn't want to spend the day cooking and cleaning up afterwards.

Jeannette, I had to laugh, my sister lives outside of St. Louis (Fairview Heights), and she's always referring to "the prairie". Some day I'll have to scoot over there...

PJ
PJ
Let Freedom Ring - Happy 4th of July