Forgive me if I've brought this up before. But have any of you experimented with straw or hay bale gardening? Here's some info if you're interested: Hay Bale Gardening

I'm thinking of doing some lettuce and spinach like this in the fall.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Gardening Gourmet_Mom Forgive me if I've b...
That is so interesting! I'm going to read the site more thoroughly, and may join you growing spinach and lettuce this fall.

Right now, I'm just growing a bunch of herbs and also several kinds of peppers, one Roma tomato, and one grape tomato. As I've mentioned, John doesn't like tomatoes, but fresh picked sure are tasty, so I grow them anyway.

Edited to add: By the way, I am SOOOO excited! It just started raining! My landscaping may make it without me spending all day tomorrow watering shrubs.

Re: Gardening karyn That is so interesti...
SEND SOME NORTH!!!!!
Daphne

Re: Gardening Gourmet_Mom SEND SOME NORTH!!!!!...
I'd love to, but it's already over....five minutes is certainly better than nothing, though!

Re: Gardening karyn I'd love to, but it'...
We got about 1/2" of rain about 3am. with all the thunder and lightning you could want - just enough rain to get the grass to grow more than Bob wants to mow it.

My goal on this trip is to stuff myself with as many fresh tomatoes as I can. My good friend Lvstahoe has some of my herbs - mmmmmmmmmm I want to binge on herbs and 'maters!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Gardening Harborwitch We got about 1/2" of...
Wow this is cool! I'm sending this to a friend of mine who actually has lots of extra hay bales.

And I am saving this for hopefully ideas for our new place Thanks Daphne!!

Re: Gardening DFen911 Wow this is cool! I'...
Thanks, Daphne. I was too late to plant lettuce, spinach etc this spring, and now it's jusy way too hot. Fall gardening is a big thing here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Gardening Lorraine Thanks, Daphne. I w...
What a neat idea. Would have loved to have this idea 'up on the hill' before we moved.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Gardening Gourmet_Mom Forgive me if I've b...
We tried it one year and did not have any luck with it. I probably didn't water it enough...Or feed it enough...Not sure. It was when the kids were smaller so who knows.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Gardening esgunn We tried it one year...
I wish I had a picture of the one I saw at my favorite nursery. She had several varieties of lettuce, herbs, and edible flowers in hers. It was so pretty...and convenient. Just go out and pick your salad!

I not thinking of doing a bunch as shown in the article, just one or two on the deck for lettuce and spinach.

That wasn't the best article, but it had pictures, where the others didn't or only one. If you google Hay Bale Gardening, you get quite a few hits if you're interested.

Erin, I hope it was just watering. I've got high hopes for this.
Daphne
Gardening