Ok I cannot find any timings for a tri tip roast in a smoker. I keep finding them for the grill or indirect heat. They all say about 2-3 hours. I have 2 of these beauties that I have a nice rub on, and they weigh about 3lbs each.

But knowing how the pork was done at 3 hours but needed the additional 7 hours for yumness.

Experts weigh in

Smoking Tri Tip DFen911 Ok I cannot find any...
Denise, I would treat the tri-tip the same as a brisket -

I don't do tri-tip, but for a brisket I smoked for 10 hours to a temp of 160-165F. I spritz with 1/2 & 1/2 (water & apple juice) every time I change the smoker chip pan.

I remove from the smoker, lay in an oven-proof shallow pan and pour BBQ sauce (I love Carolina type) over and refrigerate overnight.

I then bake at 225F. for 5 to 6 hours to a temp of 180-185F.

Because I thik tri-tip is a tough cut, this is how I would do mine. Maybe someone will have other ideas for you. Good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Smoking Tri Tip cjs Denise, I would trea...
Yeah I was wondering if I should put it on now. Cause I was thinking the first hour it's not "cooking" it's just coming up to temperature.

I just wondered because they are so small not like the 7.5 lb pork I did.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip DFen911 Yeah I was wondering...
I think Jean is right - for smoking I'd cook it like a brisket. But, I like my tri-tip cooked like a steak, so that a good veterinarian could bring it back to life, sliced thin alongside a salad with blue cheese.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip Harborwitch I think Jean is righ...
"But, I like my tri-tip cooked like a steak, so that a good veterinarian could bring it back to life, sliced thin alongside a salad with blue cheese." That is too funny and sooo true!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Smoking Tri Tip Gourmet_Mom "But, I like my tri-...
Okay, I thought this thread was about something totally different! Funny how your eyes read things sometimes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Smoking Tri Tip luvnit Okay, I thought this...
Well they're on I'll keep ya posted Low and slow. I wish I could do your way Jean but I need em for dinner tonight

Can someone tell me WHY I set myself up like this when company is coming over and I'm insistant on doing A-dishes I've never done before and B- using a technique that is totally new to me? Hahaha!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip DFen911 Well they're on I'll...
Why? 'cause we are brain-dead in the area of caution when it comes to food and feeding friends.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoking Tri Tip DFen911 Well they're on I'll...
Because we are fearless and show-offs????? And what Jean said! Good luck and have fun with it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Smoking Tri Tip Harborwitch Because we are fearl...
Probably too late - be we cook tri tip on the gill like we would a flank steak. They are a little thicker, so just a little longer.

Don't know that this helps with smoking...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Smoking Tri Tip