Magnetic knife strips
  Re: (...)
What do you all feel about those wall-mounted, magnetic strips sold for knife storage? I've always felt a bit leery about the way the knives hit the strips because of the strength of the magnetism, but if that's really just unfounded, then maybe I could fashion something along those lines for this new apartment.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Magnetic knife strips by labradors (What do you all feel...)
They look cook, but not sure they would fit into my kitchen.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by luvnit (They look cook, but ...)
I have used them for several years and really like them. I have not noticed any deterioration of the blade,
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by Lorraine (I have used them for...)
This is a very interesting topic as I have wondered the same thing. Not so much about the force but of the contact of metal to metal and if there is any moisture on the blade or high humidity would it pit the blade? Cause discoloration or rust?

I'll be interested to hear all the weigh-ins
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by DFen911 (This is a very inter...)
My mother always had them, but I never felt safe using them - can't say why.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by cjs (My mother always had...)
Jean, I've heard folks mention the safety issue. But, if anyone is going to cut themself, it's me, and I haven't yet. I make sure the knives are completely dry before hanging them. I bought one for the kitchen here, but haven't hung it yet due to lack of space and cement walls.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by Lorraine (Jean, I've heard fol...)
we have the strips for some of our knives but use the block for the good knives. I'm like Lorraine on the cutting as well - if it's going to happen, it will be me but none have dropped yet.
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by (we have the strips f...)
I have a friend that has this and loves it. I wanted to do it here, but never got around to it. With my setup, it doesn't really make sense, actually.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Magnetic knife strips by labradors (What do you all feel...)
My Mom had them when I was a kid, and I have always had them in my kitchens. I have never had a problem. I have enough stuff on my counter without adding a knife block. We also have them at work. My long slicers, however, don't fit on them. It's just nice to always have a selection of knives at your fingertips and off the counter.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Magnetic knife strips by pjcooks (My Mom had them when...)
"It's just nice to always have a selection of knives at your fingertips and off the counter.' - that's when a handy husband comes into play. My knife slots are off the island to the left end of the island - being left handed, its great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com