Question about flours
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, is my big freezer ever clean and neat! I hope that it stays that way, for a week, at least!

I found 2 small bags of flour-- Masa Harina de Maiz and Maseca. The masa harina was from several years ago when I had the silly idea to make corn tortillas (what a bust!) and I don't know why I bought the maseca.

What, other than tortillas, can I make with either of these?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Question about flours by foodfiend (Oh boy, is my big fr...)
Try the English version of Maseca's recipe website.

At first, I had thought you could try using it for some Arepas[, but then I remembered that that is really supposed to be a different, specific kind of corn flour (different grind, etc.).

Pupusas would work, though.

Polvorones would be another good choice.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Question about flours by labradors (Try the English vers...)
sopas? don't know if that's the correct spelling, just made them last week with my superbowl leftovers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about flours by cjs (sopas? don't know if...)
Quote:

sopas? don't know if that's the correct spelling, just made them last week with my superbowl leftovers.

Sopes

Good choice.

(Sopas = "Soups")
  Re: Re: Question about flours by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Now are these two different types of corn flour, or are the same?

Rob, I'm going to make the pupusas and see how that goes. They look interesting.

Jean, I saw sopa and wondered how flour would fit into a soup recipe... Does the sope recipe that you used call for deep-frying? I just don't do that any more but, having made these, do you think that I could bake them instead? Or would they dry out?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Question about flours by foodfiend (Now are these two di...)
I used 'pam' and fried them. A little vege oil, too - just a tad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about flours by cjs (I used 'pam' and fri...)
Thanks! I don't want you to type out the recipe, but if it's online I would appreciate the link.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Question about flours by foodfiend (Thanks! I don't wan...)
I sure would type it up, it's a short one, if I had it with me. We're on the road and the recipe is in a little Mexican cookbook I have at home, They sure were good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about flours by cjs (I sure would type it...)
Do you remember enough of it to see how close the link I posted (Sopes) is? Maybe Vicci could use that recipe.
  Re: Re: Question about flours by labradors (Do you remember enou...)
very similar, but mine had masa harina, water AND a little shortening.
www.achefsjourney.com