Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce?
  Re: (...)
I just ran out (well almost) and I would like a nice winter project. Has anyone here ever made it?

Have a good recipe to share?

I found this one, reviews were mixed:

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Ingredients:
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•2 large sweet onions, roughly chopped
•1/2 cup tamarind paste
•2 tablespoons minced garlic
•2 tablespoons minced ginger
•2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
•1/4 cup chopped canned anchovies
•1/4 cup tomato paste
•2 whole cloves
•2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
•1/2 cup dark corn syrup
•1 cup molasses
•3 cups white vinegar
•1 cup dark beer
•1/2 cup orange juice
•2 cups water
•1 lemon, thinly sliced
•1 lime, thinly sliced
Preparation:
Heat the olive oil1 in a large saucepan and saute the chopped sweet onion2 until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the tamarind paste, garlic3, ginger4, and jalapenos. Cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Add anchovies5, tomato6 paste, cloves, pepper7, corn syrup, molasses8, white vinegar9, dark beer10, orange juice, water, lemon, and lime11. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Strain Worcestershire sauce12 into a glass bottle and refrigerate.

Yield: about 6 cups
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by luvnit (I just ran out (well...)
Laura, I think that I would rather just bake some bread for a winter project! This looks pretty pretty labor intensive, and I don't think that I use the stuff even 3-4 times a year, so I couldn't justify the time. But let us know if you do it, and we all will be suitably impressed!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by foodfiend (Laura, I think that ...)
And I am soooo not a baker. I would rather make a batch of BBQ sauce (which my son loves so much) or, like this, worchestershire. Homemade condiments are fun and usually easy to make. Bread, for me, is difficult. And usually doesn't turn out to my liking.
Laura
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by luvnit (And I am soooo not a...)
Okay, so if we are ever lucky enough to meet IRL, I will bring you a loaf or two of bread and you can give me some homemade condiments in return!

Have you ever posted your BBQ sauce recipe here? I used up the last of mine last night for dinner, and although DH said it was great, I never wrote down how I did it...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by luvnit (And I am soooo not a...)
Have never tried making it, but at least that recipe you mentioned has the two really critical ingredients: anchovies and tamarind. Maybe the biggest reason that recipe could get mixed reviews (and not exactly the right results) is that the anchovies for Worcestershire sauce are fermented.

Based upon that, if I were to try making Worcestershire sauce, I would NOT use canned anchovies, but would start with Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce.

The ingredients in that recipe, above, was probably developed based upon using the canned anchovies, so simply substituting fish sauce for the canned anchovies may not work. It MAY, but it's hard to say.

Instead, I'd probably start from HERE but, for simpler production at home, use the fish sauce in place of the actual fish. Note the differences between that article and the recipe above.

Maybe I'll just have to try this, some day.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by foodfiend (Okay, so if we are e...)
let me look that up for you dear! It is a really great recipe. It's like KC Masterpiece. Dark, smokey and sweet!

I'll hold you to that... even trade if we ever get to meet up!
Laura
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by luvnit (let me look that up ...)
I made it years ago and it took forever, but was really good. have no idea if I still have the recipe or not. Sounds like fun to do again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by luvnit (I just ran out (well...)
I found a recipe in Saveur 2/09. Much like yours-no beer--a lot of the other stuff. I read later, Mssrs Lea & Perrin (chemists, in the 19th century, pharmacists), decided to make a sauce. It was mostly for beef (the English had only one sauce, they were trying to make a 2nd, according to Voltair), so it was limited. They were confident so they made 50+ gallons. It was terrible--one must have been a Scotsman, and put it in the cellar--forgot about it--no idea about time , temperature--pulled it up in a few years--it was wonderful!!! I'm buying my L&P at the store--I trust they figured out what they did--must have-- it is GOOD!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by Old Bay (I found a recipe in ...)
Now I know why it costs so much!!!!! Smile
  Re: Re: Has anyone make Worchestershire sauce? by cjs (I made it years ago ...)
Quote:

I made it years ago and it took forever

Ditto, I made it once and never again. The recipe was from an Australian Women's Weekly Preserving book. But, he has recently mentioned he would like to try making it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.