Mixing up some Italian Sausage
  Re: (...)
I love this recipe and have been using it for about 6 years now. I found it somewhere on the internet years ago and still use it today (as a matter of fact I AM using it today). I don't put my sausage in a casing, I just either use it, or freeze it in foodsaver bags. It is a wonderful 'goto' recipe when you want to make your own turkey version, or if you just want don't have time to get to the store. I usually don't make as large a batch as the original states, so I included the downscaled version. I recommend using a morter and pestal to blend the oil with the fennel, anise and red pepper for the smaller recipe.

"An Italian friend of mine had an Italian restaurant and used this recipe for over 30 years. When he retired, he graciously consented to passing it on to me. I will share it with you. It is excellent as meatballs, in spaghetti sauce, hamburger patties, or on pizza. This Recipe was prized by him and revered by many. We are lucky to have gotten this Recipe."

Spicy Italian Sausage

20 pounds ground pork
1/8 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup ground paprika
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon anise seed
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1/8 cup red pepper flakes

Place the ground pork into a large bowl. Season with salt, garlic salt, black pepper and paprika. In a blender or food processor, blend together the oil, anise seed, fennel seed and red pepper flakes. Mix everything into the ground pork until well blended. Refrigerate for 24 hours to let flavors blend. Bag and freeze in portions that suit your needs.

Smaller Batch

1-1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-3/4 teaspoons ground paprika
1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon anise seed
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Place the ground pork into a large bowl. Season with salt, garlic salt, black pepper and paprika. With a morter and pestal, blend together the oil, anise seed, fennel seed and red pepper flakes. Mix everything into the ground pork until well blended. Refrigerate for 24 hours to let flavors blend. Use or freeze.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Mixing up some Italian Sausage by luvnit (I love this recipe a...)
Oh, thank you, Laura - that is timely as Mister is planning to make a batch of spaghetti sauce tomorrow for the freezer. Again, thanks for posting this.
  Re: Re: Mixing up some Italian Sausage by (Oh, thank you, Laura...)
Thanks, Laura!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mixing up some Italian Sausage by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Laura!...)
You are so welcome ladies.

I was at the grocery store today and the Italian sausage was $4.99 a pound and the fresh ground turkey was on sale for 1.68 a pound, I immediately knew what I was going to do. Sometimes I let it sit overnight, but usually an hour is just fine too.

***Just a note to everyone. I did not change the original recipe in any way. Occasionally I make my own adjustments, however, the written recipe is completely intact. Because of the recipes origin, I felt the original chef would want it that way.

Almost forgot! This stuff is great on pizza! I just make up a batch, pinch off 'nuggets' and fry them up in a pan without breaking them up. I precook them until just done. Then use them on the pizza.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Mixing up some Italian Sausage by luvnit (You are so welcome l...)
hmmm, I think mine is similar -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Sausage

6 feet medium casings
5 pounds boneless pork butt -- cubed
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
5 cloves garlic (optional) -- minced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (1 to 3 Tbs) -- optional
1/3 cup flat-leaf Italian or curly parsley -- -- coarsely chopped

1. Follow directions *To Prepare Casings for Stuffing.

2. Put the cubed pork through meat grinder with coarse blade in place.

3. In large bowl mix remaining ingredients with the ground meat.

4. Stuff mixture into casings and twist off into 4- to 5-inch sausages, or make one long coil.

5. Keep sausages loosely wrapped and refrigerated; use within 3 days. Freeze sausages that will not be used within that time.

6. To cook, place sausages in large skillet and add 1/4 cup water. Pierce sausages with 2-tined fork or needle in 2 or 3 places to allow for air expansion and to prevent bursting as sausage cooks. Cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes; turn sausages after 5 minutes.

7. Uncover sausage. Continue to cook until liquid evaporates and sausages brown.

Description:
"One of the first sausages I ever made."

20 pounds ground pork
1/8 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup ground paprika
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon anise seed
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
-----
5 pounds boneless pork butt -- cubed
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
5 cloves garlic (optional) -- minced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (1 to 3 Tbs) -- optional
1/3 cup flat-leaf Italian or curly parsley -- -- coarsely chopped

-----

not really - maybe I'll have to try yours, Laura, altho I love this one. And I'm like you, I leave mine bulk. AND, it also is great on pizzas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com