Mushroom week at my place!
  Re: (...)
Well, the three pounds of mushrooms came in today, so I'll be busy for a while! Here's what I have planned:

Of course, the Mushrooms Stuffed with Brie that Daphne mentioned. (Yes, that's right, she's the one to blame for all of this.Wink)

Also, a recipe that our dear Billy posted two years ago, in response to a search of mine, and that I'm finally trying: Cajun Mushroom Loaf.

Naturally, I'll have to include a couple of recipes from my favourite mushroom-recipe site, so I've opted for these two:

Barbecued Steak with Mushroom and Chickpea Salad
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 2 Tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 4 New York steaks
  • 7 Oz Button mushrooms, quartered
  • 8 Oz Cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 Can Chickpeas (300g or 10.6 Oz), drained
  • 1/3 Cup Chopped parsley
Instructions:
  1. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper in a screw-top jar. Shake well to combine.
  2. Place steaks into a ceramic dish. Pour 1/3 of dressing over the steaks. Turn to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate.
  3. Place mushrooms into a bowl. Pour 1/2 the remaining dressing over the mushrooms. Toss to coat. Cover and set aside 20 minutes.
  4. Preheat barbecue grill or char-grill on medium-high heat. Add steaks, cook, basting with marinade for 6 minutes on each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
  5. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and remaining dressing to the mushrooms, toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve with steak.
Notes:
  • Since steaks are always such a question mark here, I'm going to stick with the beef that has been reliable for me. That is not in the form of steaks, although I could cut it that way, but I'm going to make a change. Instead of serving the steaks with a side of the mushroom mixture, I'm going to serve the beef WITHIN the mushroom mixture by using less beef (I've bought two pounds, but shall use less if the proportions don't seem right), and by cutting it into slices to stir-fry, such as one would do for Pepper Steak.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs extra light olive oil
  • 14 Oz Cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 Red bell pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
  • 14 Oz Ground chicken
  • 3/4 Cup Chicken stock
  • 5 Green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbs lime juice
  • 1 Tbs fish sauce
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 Baby cos lettuce (i.e. small Romaine lettuce)
Instructions:
  1. Heat wok over high heat until hot. Add oil, mushrooms and red pepper. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Add ground chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes, breaking up the lumps as you go.
  2. Add stock and 3 or 4 of the green onions. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes or until stock has absorbed. Stir through lime juice, fish sauce and sugar.
  3. Arrange lettuce leaves on plates. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining green onions. Serve.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Finally, since the stuffed-mushroom recipe only calls for one wedge of Brie, it doesn't SOUND as though it will use all of the 4.4-Oz round of Brie I bought (because slices and wedges of it are not available here), so I found the following recipe (which sounds good, anyway) to use the rest of the Brie. (Don't worry. I'll make a few adjustments, as necessary, so that all the mushrooms and all the Brie add up properly.)

Bacon and Brie Soup
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Large Onion, chopped
  • 1 Stalk Celery, chopped
  • 3 Oz Rindless Brie, cubed
  • 4 Oz Bacon, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 5 Oz. Milk
  • 2 Tbsp Light cream
  • 15 Oz. Chicken stock
  • 3 Tbsp + 2 Tsp Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • Salt and Black Pepper
Instructions:
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan add the onion and celery and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in another pan fry the bacon in the oil until golden brown. Remove any fat from the bacon and cut it into small pieces.
  4. After the 30 minutes cooking time, add the milk and cream to the vegetables and stir well. Add the cheese and stir until melted then add the bacon. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mushroom week at my place! by labradors (Well, the three poun...)
My goodness, Labs! Those last two sound WONDERFUL! I'll be waiting for a review! Mushrooms are ridiculously expensive. Like you, I have to be careful how I use them. Speaking of having leftover cheese, I'm planning on having plenty of leftover Gouda from the Fougasse recipe, so I plan to splurge on some more mushrooms for the stuffed mushrooms recipe, using Gouda this time instead.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by Gourmet_Mom (My goodness, Labs! ...)
Pizza, Daphne, pizza - especially if it's SMOKED Gouda!

Again, I'll keep pushing my "Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner Pizza,":
  • Pizza crust.
  • The wet part of homemade stuffing, without the bread/croutons added.
  • Slices of leftover turkey.
  • A little bit of leftover gravy (not much - it expands and runs when you reheat it).
  • A moderate coating of freshly grated smoked Gouda cheese (no Mozzarella in this pizza).
  • After baking the pizza, serve each slice topped with a slice of canned cranberry sauce.
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by labradors (Pizza, Daphne, pizza...)
I don't think I'll have THAT much left...LOL! We like LOTS of cheese on our pizza. I'd use pretty much the whole wedge for one pizza! It's not smoked, though. I haven't tried smoked yet. I'm still not sure about that one yet. I've just realized in the past few years I actually LIKE cheese! Baby steps, dear, baby steps! Although, I HAVE been pointing it out to William on the rare occasion he happens to be with me at a cheese counter. Soon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by Gourmet_Mom (I don't think I'll h...)
Took me a long time, too. As a kid, I only liked American and hated Swiss and other types. Eventually, Mozzarella and Provolone joined the list, and then that was it for years. Smoked Gouda and Edam were what got me out of the rut. After a while, I also discovered that I DO like Swiss cheese - but the REAL Swiss cheeses, such as Emmentaler, Gruyère. amd Jarlsberg - NOT the American-made stuff called "Swiss." Nowadays, I'm willing to TRY any cheese, and I wind up liking a lot of them, but not all.

Blue cheeses are definitely not my thing, but I do like Gorgonzola in a few things. One of the notable things was, a sauce that was served at the former "Race Rock" restaurant in Orlando ("CHICKEN & MUSHROOM GORGONZOLA: Grilled chicken, sautéed leeks and mushrooms tossed with fettuccine, Parmesan-Gorgonzola sauce). The other is the amazing Pear and Gorgonzola Omelet at the "Briar Patch" restaurant in Winter Park (just North of Orlando).

A lot of stronger or sharper cheeses still don't appeal to me, either (e.g. butterkäse), but maybe, in time, I'll start to like them, too.
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by labradors (Took me a long time,...)
Labs, I was even MORE cheese "deprived" than you. I wouldn't eat ANY kind of cheese. I eventually tried pizza as a teen, to "fit in", but only if it had LOTS of other stuff on it. I still can't stand the smell of American cheese slices, but can tolerate cheddar in "yellow" cheese SAUCES on veggies. I still won't eat a cheeseburger at a fast food place.

White cheese seems to be my preference...including Blue cheese, feta, and goat cheese...go figure! I'd like these and still not care for the American...LOL! I think that one is a mind set more than taste.

Last Christmas Eve, I SHOCKED my kids with a meat and cheese board for our first course....and ATE some of all of it! Bless their hearts, they put up with long waits at fast food lines when they were kids because MOM just HAD to order that burger WITHOUT cheese. If it had not been for their dad LOVING cheese, I'm not sure they would have ever had a chance to learn to love cheese, too!

I'm a work in progress where cheese goes! But that's a good thing! Just think of all the cheeses there are out there to taste! I'll now try them all...at least once!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I was even MOR...)
Oh, Labs, one more thing on the mushroom recipe. I ALWAYS put MUCH more garlic in a recipe than called for, but I think at least a little more in this one is called for...if you like garlic. Also, she stressed the importance of crowding the mushrooms in a dish, just to fit. I couldn't find one...SO I tried to make sure some of the onion/garlic/parsley wound up on each mushroom and not in the dish by using my fingers to PLACE it on each mushroom.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Labs, one more t...)
Oh my, oh my, oh my-- I'm going have to put those brie-stuffed mushrooms on my list for Christmas party appetizers. They sound absolutely wonderful!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by foodfiend (Oh my, oh my, oh my-...)
Vicci, I think you'll be please. We LOVE Jean's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms with the Bechemel Sauce, but this is a great appy, also. It is just such a "soft" flavor that compliments the flavor of the mushroom, letting the mushroom be the star of the dish.

GEEZ! How "cheezy"...that sounded like something off of Iron Chef...LOL!

I plan to serve BOTH this year!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushroom week at my place! by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I think you'l...)
Thinking of Jean's crab-stuffed mushrooms make me drool! Alas, DH hates crab but loves stuffed mushrooms, so the brie stuffing sounds like a good choice.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com