The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I made that recipe for Clam Chowder last Saturday for my Mom. I gave her half the fixins and kept half to me since I didn't think she'd want to eat this soup 4 days in a row.

So it's been 8 days now and I still have a bunch leftover.

My Q is, how long would you keep a cream-based soup in a lock-tight container? I just looked at it, it still is holding and tastes okay and our fridge is at 32 degrees.

What say you all?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ma...)
We freeze NE clam chowder in airtight containers for as long as a year--don't let frost form on top. We don't eat NY chowder, so I don't know anything about it. We do freeze it within a couple of days though.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ma...)
I am extremely cautious so I would throw this out. More because of the clams than the cream. I will say this, when my mother made chowder, she did not add cream to the whole batch, just what she thought we would eat in a couple of days and then she froze the rest of the "creamless" chowder in 4-6 serving size containers.

Someone will surely come along and give you factual advise.

As an aside on this recipe, I made it recently as well and as I was eating it, I remembered what I liked best about my mom's chowder......she ground up the clams. The flavor seemed better distributed and the clams did not get caught between my teeth.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by chef_Tab (I am extremely cauti...)
"the clams did not get caught between my teeth." I guess I'll be using chopped clams, also. I agree with the distribution of flavor as well.

As for the safety of it, I'll have to say I'm on the cautious side as well. As Theresa said...more for the clams than the cream. I'll tell you what has always been told to me..."When in doubt, throw it out." But I'm not a pro, so you may want to wait for someone certified to answer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by Gourmet_Mom ("the clams did not g...)
I like the chunks of clam. I like pureed vegis, but not my meat.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by Old Bay (I like the chunks of...)
I have no idea of how long it would be safe but I'm a nut when it comes to food safety. Nothing I've cooked gets eaten or frozen after three days. Even three day old cold cuts are pushing it to me, unless it's something like salami or cheese - no turkey or ham.
  Re: Re: The Best Calm Chowder Recipe Q by Trixxee (I have no idea of ho...)
I can't remember (anyone tired of hearing that besides myself??) what I learned in ServeSafe, but whatever, I would not keep clams past three days. I always freeze by the 2nd day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com