A banana dessert I need to try
  Re: (...)
Of course, it's not possible to start looking through a cookbook without flipping pages and discovering other things that keep you in that book for a while. In this case, the book was the Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices I had mentioned in the curry thread. At one point, I flipped into an area with desserts, and encountered the following:

Caribbean Bananas with Ground Allspice and Ginger
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 8 Firm, ripe bananas
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Scant 1/2 Cup Dark brown sugar
  • 1 Tsp Ground allspice
  • 1/2 Tsp Ground ginger
  • Seeds from 6 cardamoms, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp Rum
  • Pared lime rind to decorate
  • Whipped cream, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Use a little of the butter to grease a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the bananas snugly in a single layer. Peel the bananas and cut them in half lengthwise. Arrange the bananas in the dish and pour over the lime juice.
  2. Mix the sugar, allspice, ginger and cardamom in a bowl. Scatter the mixture over the bananas. Dot with the remaining butter. Bake, basting once, for 15 minutes, or until the bananas are soft.
  3. Remove the dish from the oven. Warm the rum in a small pan or metal soup ladle, pour it over the bananas and set it alight. As soon as the flames die down, decorate the dessert with the pared lime rind and serve each portion with a dollop of whipped cream.
Variation:
  • For a version which will appeal more to children, use orange juice instead of lime and omit the rum.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A banana dessert I need to try by labradors (Of course, it's not ...)
Sounds good Labs! I've discovered that sometimes, setting things on fire in the kitchen CAN be fun...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good Labs! I...)
Quote:

Sounds good Labs! I've discovered that sometimes, setting things on fire in the kitchen CAN be fun...LOL!

As long as it's intentional. LOL!
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I think I need to try this one as well. I just love cooked bananas.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by chef_Tab (I think I need to tr...)
Hmmm, I've got to look at this book closer. Sounds interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by cjs (Hmmm, I've got to lo...)
Jean,

I don't think you and I have the same book - at least from other things you've mentioned about your book, before. The one I have was (despite its size) a cheapie in the discount bin at Borders (as are many of the books from this publisher), but it has been very useful, and I often forget how many interesting recipes it does have. Here is the full publication information:

TITLE: The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices
AUTHORS: Andi Clevely, Katherine Richmond, Sallie Morris and Lesley Mackley
PUBLISHER: Hermes House
YEAR: 1997
ISBN: 1-901289-06-0
PUBLISHER'S NOTE: Previously published as two volumes, The Complete Book of Herbs and The Spice Ingredient Cookbook.

Theresa,

If you like cooked bananas, try this crazy-sounding (but DELICIOUS-tasting) one my mom found in one of her old cookbooks:

Sausages Baked in Bananas
Serves 8

Ingredients:
  • 8 bananas, unpeeled
  • 8 to 16 link sausages (I just use bulk sausage from a Copycat, Jimmy Dean recipe)
Instructions:
  1. Slit each banana lengthwise from tip to tip to form a pocket, being careful not to cut through the skin on the under side.
  2. Place 1 or 2 link sausages in the opening of each banana.
  3. Arrange bananas in baking dish, slit side up and bake in moderate oven (375 deg) about 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. To brown sausages, place under broiler 2 or 3 minutes after baking, or fry until light brown before inserting into bananas for baking.
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by labradors (Jean,[br][br]I don't...)
I like the sound of the caribbean bananas, labs. Will have to try that one. Thanks.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by Mare749 (I like the sound of ...)
You're right, Labs, different books - I do have the one Erin mentioned.

Bananas - has anyone tried Martin Yan's Asian Banana split?? Everytime someone mentions a banana dessert, I immediately think of this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

FIVE-SPICE PINEAPPLE BANANA SPLIT

Pineapple Topping:
8 ounces can crushed pineapple, in natural juice, undrained
1/4 cup water
1 T. sugar
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
----------
3 bananas
1 pint vanilla or coconut ice cream
1/3 cup purchased chocolate syrup
1/3 cup Zippy Ginger Syrup (See Below)
Whipped cream for serving
1/2 cup glazed or roasted walnuts

To make the pineapple topping, combine all the igred. in a small saucepan.
Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens slightly, about 5 min.

To assemble the desserts: Divide the bananas among 4 bowls.
Tope each one with 1 scoop of ice cream, 1/4 of the warm pineapple topping, a few tablespoons of the chocolate and ginger syrups, and a dollop of whipped cream.

Top each dessert with one-fourth of the glazed walnuts and serve.

ZIPPY GINGER SYRUP
This spicy syrup can be added to fresh fruit for a quick dessert, or mixed with rum for a cocktail. The cayenne pepper intensifies the ginger flavor and gives the syrup dimension.

1 cup coarsely chopped ginger
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

In blender, combine the ginger and 1 cup of the water.
Whirl till smooth, then pour into a heavy 2-qt. pan.
Add all the remaining ingred. and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, till the sugar dissolves, about 10 min.

Remove from the heat, let cool, and pour thru a strainer into an airtight container. Store in frig for up to 2 months.

Description:
"a Martin Yan recipe from Quick and Easy Book"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh my, this is so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by cjs (You're right, Labs, ...)
Odd, I know...but I don't like coconut, but love the flavor..pina coladas (sp?), ice cream, etc. That's how I know it's a texture thing. I may have to try this...sounds good. Copied and saved, as well. Thanks Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A banana dessert I need to try by Gourmet_Mom (Odd, I know...but I ...)
I'm not a coconut fan either -had to go look at what cocconut was called for in the recipe. have never used it.
www.achefsjourney.com